C-sections
Options

if you had diabetes how was your sugar managed during delivery?

If you have diabetes and had a previous c-section could you please tell me how your blood sugar was managed during the delivery and stay at the hospital. I have type 1 diabetes and will be having a planned c-section due to previous birth complications that ended in loss. I want to know as much as I can what to expect. Did you bring your own insulin to the hospital or did the hospital use their insulin? Also, I am on a pump. Thankyou for your insight!

My little boy went to heaven during childbirth Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

type 1 diabetic for 7 years. Been on the pump for 6 years.

Re: if you had diabetes how was your sugar managed during delivery?

• Options
    When I got there, they gave me an IV and a glucose drip. I had this in till about 2 hours post delivery? I don't remember exactly but soon. I asked to have it out ASAP. I hate IVs. It was basically when you could handle your own insulin and keep food down. For me, it was no problem. I ate a grilled cheese at 2-3 hours PP.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imagejuliane2004:
    When I got there, they gave me an IV and a glucose drip. I had this in till about 2 hours post delivery? I don't remember exactly but soon. I asked to have it out ASAP. I hate IVs. It was basically when you could handle your own insulin and keep food down. For me, it was no problem. I ate a grilled cheese at 2-3 hours PP.

thanks so much for the response!

My little boy went to heaven during childbirth Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD was a repeat c/s.  I had GD.  I was not given dextrose in the hospital before delivery.  My sugar was checked a few times.  I waited in triage for 7-8 hours before my c/s.  After delivery no one cared to check it, but from having it with my previous pregnancy, I used my own glucometer.  I think it will be different for you since your a type 1 and your on a pump.  The hospital used their own insulin. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemrsseguin:
    DD was a repeat c/s.  I had GD.  I was not given dextrose in the hospital before delivery.  My sugar was checked a few times.  I waited in triage for 7-8 hours before my c/s.  After delivery no one cared to check it, but from having it with my previous pregnancy, I used my own glucometer.  I think it will be different for you since your a type 1 and your on a pump.  The hospital used their own insulin. 

thanks for the info!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I'm a Type 2 diabetic but was on insulin practically my entire pregnancy. My C section wasn't planned, I ended up in the OR after my labor failed to progress. Basically, they monitored my sugar while in labor and it stayed right around 100 (I wasn't allowed to eat) so it was a total non issue. The nurse I talked to about how my diabetes would be managed during L&D said they wouldn't even give me insulin during L&D because with all the medication and stress your body is under it most likely wouldn't get too high. Though with you being Type 1 and a planned C section, your situation may be different. I wouldn't hesitate to ask your endo what they recommend or call the hospital you're going to deliver at and get more information. Best of luck to you and your rainbow!

ETA: I vaguely remember being given some insulin at the early part of my hospital stay and the hospital did provide it. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    +HPT 12/1/14
    EDD 8/3/15

• Options
    I am type 1 and was on an insulin drip until I could to my pump again on my own, I brought my own supplies and did everything myself. My endo had given what to change my basal and other settings prior to having my son.......it's crazy how much your insulin needs go down right after baby is born .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"