Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Getting LO to the car

The temp on the east coast has been very cold. I'm having trouble getting LO to and from the car without exposing his body to the cold air. I don't want him to be cold but also don't want to over dress him once the car gets heated up. Btw I also need time to warm up the car and dont want to leave lo in the house alone. i heard that snow suits and jackets should not be used in car seats so thats not an option. and i dont want to be fumbling to get a jacket on and off for a small distance. For those that don't  live in an apt building, what tips do you have to make this easier? I'm ready to stay indoors until this cold spell is over after yesterday's ordeal. It was tough. He was basically exposed to the cold air for 5 mins while I was fighting with the carseat straps and bundleme. That's too long. What's your routine to get to the car in the cold weather?

I should also mention that he's in a convertible car seat.  

Re: Getting LO to the car

• A blanket from house/store to car and back.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageSteelCity44:
    A blanket from house/store to car and back.
    thisYes our lil guy is still using his car seat and he gets put in that  ..blanket and then carried out the door straight into the car.. blanket off when it warms up
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSteelCity44:

Yup, this.  I use a fleece jacket that I'm comfortable with her wearing in the (convertible) car seat.  It's not puffy or bulky, so it won't compress in the event of a crash.  I also run out to the car and turn it on 10ish minutes before we leave to warm it up.  My car is always in the attached garage or in the driveway, so I can take 30 seconds to turn it on while LO is playing.  I also bought a few pairs of women's socks and cut the foot off/ sewed a quick hem to make little leg warmers.  I put them on her when we go out so her leg isn't exposed between her pants and socks/booties. 

• Same as the PPs - we use a fleece coat that is thin enough to be ok in the carseat, his stocking hat and then if it's frigid, I'll wrap a blanket around him.  I always throw the blanket over his legs once he's strapped in since I can't always warm the car up (i.e. we're out and about running errands).  If you have an exersaucer (and aren't in an apartment), put baby in there and run out to start the car or sit baby in the crib for 30 seconds if warming the car up is important to you. 

Also, like PP mentioned, if you're using a BundleMe in the carseat, please know that they are just as unsafe as using a puffy snowsuit or coat.  Shower cap style covers are ok but I've never seen one for a convertible carseat. 

• I'm not sure what living in an apt building has to do with this. We live in an apt and do what everyone has suggested. We just use a blanket.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLalaMama81:

I think you are over thinking it. I put on a car seat safe fleece coat and her hat. I put her in the car seat. We leave. If you are very concerned, you can always wrap a blanket around the legs and put that over top of him in the car seat.

You mentioned a bundle me - do you mean the shower cap kind or the kind that goes under the baby? The latter is unsafe.

Are you in an apartment building? If not, why can't you run out and start the car? I do this occasionally, it takes like 30 seconds.  

All of this :) 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• You can always look into a 1 piece fleece. I know that a lot of the LL Bean/Columbia one pieces have been on clearance. I believe they make them up to 24 months, and in this case, it should be perfect.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • ^^Ditto. Or look into a car seat poncho.
  • I use a blanket, too. I bought a hooded fleece blanket from Walmart for $7 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Boys-Character-Hooded-Costume-Blanket/21367525

I put a hat on him, throw the hood on him so that the blanket stays put and then wrap the rest around him, and we're good to go. 

• I turn the car on and let it warm up.  I also have a fleece that she can wear in the carseat, but it really only takes a couple seconds to get a coat on ger so if I can't warm the car I put a coat on her and take it off before putting her in her carsest.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • the LL Bean one piece fleece with a (bear) hood is awesome.  super warm and soft and not thick.
  • imageLalaMama81:

I think you are over thinking it. I put on a car seat safe fleece coat and her hat. I put her in the car seat. We leave. If you are very concerned, you can always wrap a blanket around the legs and put that over top of him in the car seat.

You mentioned a bundle me - do you mean the shower cap kind or the kind that goes under the baby? The latter is unsafe.

Are you in an apartment building? If not, why can't you run out and start the car? I do this occasionally, it takes like 30 seconds.  

This.

• imageSteelCity44:

exactly this. We don't use coat at all, but a warm sweater, and a big thick blanket covering his entire body.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Honestly I just carry him to the car with no coat on or a light coat.  It's not far and I've got a blanket in the van for each kid.  A couple minutes of cold won't hurt them.  Both of my kids are in convertible seats.  My house is baby proofed so if I decide to warm up the van (I almost never do unless the winshield is icy or something) I just leave the kids in the house.  Did the same when there was only DD.  I doesn't take long to go out, start the car, come back in.  I clear the windshield once the kids are in.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"