C-sections
Options

I've changed my mind about trying a VBAC

Hello ladies. I lurk here but this is my first posting.  With my first pregnancy 4 yrs ago, I developed pre-e and was induced at 39 weeks.  The first dose of cervidil (sp) didn't work so I had a 2nd dose inserted. I wasn't progressing at all. The doc came in and stripped my membranes and within 1/2 hr to 1 hr, I was allowed to finally get up and walk and that is when my water finally broke. They gave Pitocin and I had really bad contrax until I got my epidural. Well, a few hours later, the doc said the baby was in distress, with each contraction, her heart rate went down so I had to have an emergency C-section and thank God I did, DD's cord was wrapped around her neck 2-3 times!

When I first found out I was pregnant, Mom said that I could chose what day the baby was to be born but I had read about VBAC's and thought it was something I would like to try.  My OB said that wouldn't be a problem but I would have to go into labor on my own. So about 3 weeks ago, after much deliberation, I decided I am going with a scheduled RCS. There are soo many different reasons why, I live 45 min. away from the hospital, DH goes to work at 4AM, my only family is my Mom which is 1/2 hour away. All kinds of scenarios started going through my head about the timing, my Mom being able to take vacation in July because where she works at, that is filled pretty fast and she is the only one who can keep DD while I am in the hospital. So a multitude of things has made me change my mind. I've done alot of reading about if your scheduled, your not having to go through labor or try to labor only to wind up with a C-section. Your more rested going in, you know what to expect, etc as opposed to the first time where I laid for 48 hours, in labor for a day and then rushed off for the section. I have read many success stories on the VBAC boards but I really think this is best for me and my family.

The next time I went to the OB, I told her I had a change of heart and want a RCS and she said they would schedule it in my 39th week. What are your docs doing? Alot of girls I know have RCS at 38 weeks. Does it depend on your OB as to when they schedule them? Did any of you want a VBAC and changed your mind due to other circumstances? TIA and thanks for reading! My post wound up being longer than planned LOL!

Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I've changed my mind about trying a VBAC

• Options

It's such a personal decision and it sounds like you're making the one that is right for you.

As far as scheduling - I think it's a little odd that they won't schedule you until you are already 39 weeks (I will schedule mine around 30 weeks).

But as far as scheduling them at 38 weeks - I think that is pretty rare unless there is a medical reason to do so. I've most often heard that they schedule them for 39 weeks - possibly letting you come in at 38 weeks if there are extenuating circumstances (i.e. your own health; 39 weeks falls on a holiday week, meaning a skeleton staff only; etc.). But yes, it largely depends on your OB and what he or she thinks is best.

I never wanted a VBAC - laboring for as long as I did with no progress and then ending up with an emergency c-section, I knew before I was discharged that for any following kids I would be doing a repeat c-section. My second son was giving me contractions all night the night before, so he would've been born regardless on the day I had picked. I have a feeling I'll schedule this one and go into labor even earlier and end up with a quasi-emergency c-section instead of RCS, but that's up to baby, so we'll see.

You will be more awake and aware and that is good and bad. I had a very mild panic attack (that is actually too strong of a phrase - just a shortness of breath right before the RCS) because I wasn't in as much pain, so the RCS wasn't a relief the way it was with the first one. I settled down before they made the first cut and I enjoyed being more aware of what was going on.

Good luck! 

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Options
    Oops! They will schedule it for the 39th week, not wait until then to schedule it is what I meant to say. I am prone to panic attacks myself so I can see that happening! I have GAD and had to stop taking all meds when I was pregnant. If you are nervous or having a panic attack before the surgery, I wonder if they would give something IV to help "calm" down? Hmm..something to add to my list of questions for the doc!
    Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Your situation sounds very similar to mine.  I had an emergency c-section after going into labor and pushing for a couple of hours.  I was exhausted and overwhelmed.

I am currently 32 weeks pregnant and decided to go with a VBAC.  The only problem is the local hospital does not allow them so I had to change to an OB 45 minutes away. (the hospital is 30 minutes away)

The closer I get to my due date the more I am wondering if I made the right decision.  I am scared that I will go into labor and just end up with a cs anyway.  Just like you, I only have my MIL to watch ds1 and if I have to have a cs, I would rather be at my local hospital which is right down the street from my ILs.  Also, I would love to be able to give them a date so my ILs and DH can schedule their vacations.

I am not looking forward to the recovery from the surgery but I am thinking that it might be the right decision for me.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to think about it.

GL with your decision and just remember that you need to do what is best for your family!

image. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagetranscriber87:
    Oops! They will schedule it for the 39th week, not wait until then to schedule it is what I meant to say. I am prone to panic attacks myself so I can see that happening! I have GAD and had to stop taking all meds when I was pregnant. If you are nervous or having a panic attack before the surgery, I wonder if they would give something IV to help "calm" down? Hmm..something to add to my list of questions for the doc!

Ahhh *nods* okay, that makes more sense lol!

As far as the panic attack (again, I use the phrase very lightly) - the anesthetist was at my shoulder and he asked if I was getting nervous because my heart rate spiked. I told him I was and he started rubbing my forehead - such a tiny little thing and it calmed me down. I was okay once DH got in the room, but he always comes in last, right before they start the surgery, so missed the beginning of my anxiety. 

I've been a little worried about it happening this time, but I just keep telling myself that I will just need to take deep breaths and to remember that the actual surgery is only about 30 short minutes, from start to finish. The longest part of the surgery is the "clean up" and I was on cloud 9 after seeing my baby, so I was just silently urging them to hurry so I could get through the recovery room part and hold him :).

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Options

My OB won't schedule a C/Section a day before 39 weeks unless mommy or baby are in distress.  I have mine schedule for a week from today at 39+3.

I was on the fence for a long time during this pregnancy and was sure I wanted a VBAC...then I'd go back to C/S.  It was frustrating and in the end we also decided to go with RCS.  I had a terrible birth experience with my son that ended in an emergency C/S and I had to be put to sleep.  The recovery wasn't that bad a and that was after hours and hours of labor w/o a working epi.

There are several reasons that made us decide on a RCS.  We also have the support issue.  We moved to WA from GA in August and don't have any friends or family here.  I also didn't want to go through all of that again and end up with a C/S which is highly possible for me.  The scheduling is appealing b/c DH knows when he has to take off work and we can plan for the care of our son.  Also, according to my OB,  RCS that are planned tend to go smoothy because your body doesn't have to go through labor and then major surgery.

In the end it's a very personal decision and one that I continue to question even today!  I guess I will know soon enough if it was the right one:) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hello, this is my first time on here since the first baby. I ended up with a c-section first time around. We're not pregnant yet, we're working on the next one. What you mentioned about being nervous is exactly what I am struggling with. More about getting the epidural. I was in pain before so, yeah, it was a welcome pain. But 2nd time around I'll be going in clear-headed and it's a bit scary. It's nice to hear that you were able to enjoy it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My OB says baby lungs are the best after 39.5weeks. So try to get as close to your DD as possible :) Best of luck.  I'm a RCS in three weeks. Ready, kind of, but a bit scared too. We'll all do well though.   :)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    My first pregnancy was similar to yours.  I was induced because of PIH and ended up with a C section after developing a fever.  I was in labor for a long time.  It was exhausting.  I did try a VBAC for my 2nd pregnancy.  I was induced again because of PIH.  I dilated to a 9, but the baby never dropped so we decided to do the Csection.   The cord was wrapped around the baby's neck and his heart rate started going down. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I am doing a RCS.  I felt guilty at first, but then thought about it and I would rather be rested and not have to go through days of being induced again.  My OB usually schedules a week before due date, but said I'm likely to be earlier because of my history.  They will monitor me and determine how early if that is the case.  Ultimately you have to do what is best for you and your family and you shouldn't feel bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Most OBs won't do a scheduled c-section prior to 39 weeks due to the risk of the baby's lungs not being mature.  I had a CS when my DS was 38 weeks, due to stalled early labor and his predicted large size, but they wouldn't take him until they first did an amnio to make sure the lungs were mature (somehow they can tell that).  Unless there is a real medical reason to do it sooner, most will not do a scheduled one prior to 39 weeks.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    Due to the circumstances of my first c/s, my OB said that I needed to go into labor before my due date to attempt a VBAC with DD2. She won't induce at all for a VBAC. We scheduled my c/s for 40w2d, and of course I had no signs of labor up to that point. DD2 was born via c/s. Since my OB won't allow me to try a VBA2C, I will be having a repeat c/s for DD3. My OB schedules it in the 39th week, so mine is scheduled for exactly 39 weeks. She said we can always reconsider if I start to progress, but I highly doubt that will happen.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"