Blended Families

H has a part time job.

He told me today that he's got a part time job at the meat counter at a local food store chain.   Which kind of makes me smile because I can't see him doing that, but at the same time, happy he's setting aside his pride and doing whatever it takes.

He also has an interview next week for a full time position.

And...he sold his trailer to get by and pay his phone bill and vehicle insurance.

It's just time he start stepping up. 

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval

Re: H has a part time job.

• Never had a job??  I thought engineering jobs are one of the jobs that have been strong thru this bad economy.   Wow. 

H does not have a degree, but he is a very talented welder.  He's very good at it, but thinks he's "too old" to keep welding. He wants a supervisor type job. I think he thinks he can sit around and tell people what to do.  Which is not the case for supervisors.  Now manufacturers want educated supervisors with a degree and know how to run reports and computers.   He hasn't figured that out yet, and it's not going to happen for him.

I'm worried about him to be honest. He's 50.  That's not a good age to not have some kind of career and to be hopping from job to job. 

And that makes me worried for DD. Someday he will be wanting her to take care of him.  I won't have that.  When she is in her 20's she should not be taking care of her father who should have planned for a retirement. 

This will be a longterm potential financial issue for me and my daughter.

• Hey, my DH is a part time dishwasher right now. Someof people do what they have to do. DH has definitely had better jobs before, but with my good job now, this part time crap job is perfect to cover his gas to and from school and small personal expenses. And it is very close to our home.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Good thing he finally realized that. I hope he continues. Maybe he had a wake up call. Sometimes it just takes a while to realize things like that, especially for I think. I'm glad he swallowed his pride for the meantime.

ETA: especially for men I think. Phone typos.
  • Loading the player...
  • Me too ambravan. Me too.  I'm cautiously proud of him.
  • Good for him for sucking it up. I'm sure it can be hard to put your pride aside, but good on him. Hope it sticks and I do hope he finds a better job for himself.

The engineering field has been terrible since the economy crashed. I worked for an engineering firm for 5 yrs before I had my babies. When the economy crashed, construction and all that did as well. Our office had a staff of over 200. When I left 2 yrs ago, we were down to a 30 ish person office. At least in Nevada, it has been a terrible place for engineers and construction. I know ppl who have moved out of state for a new job bc they just haven't been available here.
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Maybe it's my location.  We haven't felt the brunt like most areas of the country. And the flood 4 1/2 years ago helped construction.  I know Vegas got hit hard, so I can see where that affected you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"