1st Trimester

HELP! Dry Heaving

Hello Ladies! Just looking for a little advice or if someone has gone through this.

I am just over 6 weeks pregnant and my morning sickness has kicked in the last few days. I wake up (many times from feeling nauseous) and less then 10 minutes later I have to throw up, but I just end up dry heaving. I tried eating right before bed last night, 10pm, hoping I would have something in my stomach this morning, but I ended up still dry heaving. I can eat right after and not throw up.

So I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there is a way to stop the dry heaving. I hate it so much, I would much rather just throw up! Should I get up and eat in the middle of the night? Or is this something I'll just have to live with until it passes? Any advice would be SO appreciated! Thanks so much!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: HELP! Dry Heaving

• Sorry abot the GIANT picture! I must have added it when on theknot. Any advice on how to get rid of that would be great too! Not sure how to even get there to edit it...Embarrassed
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am 8w6d and have been having this too...it really sucks...the dr tells me at least I am keeping the nutrients in...nothing really helps...I always have a bottle of cold water with lemon juice with me, or popsickles...I also have liitle snacks of nuts or crackers....Whole foods sell a Ginger "soda" that helps a little too...but it does not stop it.  Some of the ladies on the board told me to take my pre natal vit at night and to switch to one that is a gummy....it helped a little...but I feel your pain....
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice! You are so right, I never thought about being thankful for the fact that I am keeping nutrients in. At least that's a plus! I'll try the ginger soda. I already take my pre natal vitamin with dinner, but I'll try switching to the gummy and see if that helps at all. Thanks so much!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I doubt its the prenatal in your case since the dry heaving happens so long after you take it. Keep some saltines next to your bed and eat them as soon as you wake up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I also am thinking I need to eat right away, even before I get out of bed since it seems that as soon as I stand up it starts.

And I think my siggy should be changed. Fingers crossed!

I appreciate all the advice!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageleo4:

Hello Ladies! Just looking for a little advice or if someone has gone through this.

I am just over 6 weeks pregnant and my morning sickness has kicked in the last few days. I wake up (many times from feeling nauseous) and less then 10 minutes later I have to throw up, but I just end up dry heaving. I tried eating right before bed last night, 10pm, hoping I would have something in my stomach this morning, but I ended up still dry heaving. I can eat right after and not throw up.

So I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there is a way to stop the dry heaving. I hate it so much, I would much rather just throw up! Should I get up and eat in the middle of the night? Or is this something I'll just have to live with until it passes? Any advice would be SO appreciated! Thanks so much!

With my first I wasnt able to find a way not to! I had burp throw ups lol where I had nothing left to heave but gas in my stomach and those were so nasty they made me puke more. I hope you feel better soon! I was sick for 28 wks last time and am hoping for a much better 2nd time around lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Try Drinking ginger ale and keeping whole wheat saltines or dry bread with you. I am rolling up on six weeks...find out soon if I will get it or how bad morning sickness is...eek! 
  • Honestly, nothings worked for me. Im almost 12 weeks and I've had really bad dry heaving since about 6 weeks. I did notice that if I'm sucking on a mint or a hard piece of candy it stops it a bit.

Hang in there!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Morning sickness hasn't kicked in yet, but with my last, brushing my teeth would trigger my gag reflex so badly, I would dry heave if I didn't have anything in my stomach.  It got to a point that I would chug cold water because sometimes it would calm the gagging to stave off the heaving or I would vomit water, which honestly, was easier on me than dry heaving.

I would definitely recommend eating a few crackers before even getting out of bed, with something to drink, I am big "pusher" of coconut water.  It's healthier than sugary soda, very hydrating, and can alleviate nausea and vomiting. Plus, it's high in potassium, which I know during my last pregnancy, the charlie horses at night were miserably awful and bananas upset my stomach so badly, I couldn't eat them. 

When I was in culinary school, for my Nutrition class we had to formulate theoretical menus for case studies. Mine had severe hyperemesis, I had her drinking coconut water and sparkling water with lemon - which can also be soothing.

Sisters:  Now and then.

imageimage

Elijah's 1st day of Kindergarten!
  • Spearmint gum is supposed to help..probably goes long with the mints?? Hope you feel normal soon!
  • If it carries on, ask your doctor about an Rx for Zofran.  Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I already have some stockpiled and am totally planning to use it if/when I get m/s.  GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • I'm pretty much always dry heaving. Stretching and reaching my arms way up, sometimes bracing against a wall helps, taking deep breaths and counting to 3 each time helps too. Very mind over matter...
    image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"