8 months after - Is this PPD? — The Bump
Postpartum Depression

8 months after - Is this PPD?

Hi everyone -

I had my son 8 months ago  - he was colicky for the first 2 months, cried non-stop, wouldn't sleep.. all of the usual new baby things. I was exhausted, and felt at my wit's end. I chocked it up to the baby blues, I never thought it was PPD. 

But 8 months later, I am still wondering. I am up and down like a roller coaster emotionally. My husband complains that he does everything around the house, cooks, cleans, etc. And all I do is watch the baby and sit around. We've had talks about it, but we're both stressed and it never ends in a solution. I do clean, do laundry, but I do lack in the cooking dinner department. But I've told him how I feel, and I DO think about making dinner every single day.. but then something comes up, the baby won't nap, he's teething, or I just think about it - that's it. 

I feel like I've lost my mind sometimes - like, I feel like I'm unable to think or process words sometimes. I know, totally weird. It freaks me out! I don't feel like me. I don't even really remember who I was before I had a baby. I keep thinking I'm just overwhelmed and frustrated, but my husband keeps telling me to get help. 

I don't know what I should do? I can't seem to open up at all, and I don't want it to hurt my relationship. 

Also - wondering if any SAHM's have any advice - what do you get done during the day? I want to get things done, I want to get everything done.. but I feel like I've lost any glimpse of motivation I once had! I've tried exercising, talking to a friend, taking a drive... anything to get my mind working. Maybe I spend too much time alone with the baby? I don't know. 

Any advice is welcomed! Thanks, ladies!

Re: 8 months after - Is this PPD?

• It could be PPD. If you're concerned, talk to your doctor about it!

As far as what to do - I'm not a SAHM, but I was for 9 months. I assigned one chore to each day. For example: Monday - Laundry, Teusday - Clean the Bathroom, Wednesday - Vacuum, etc. That way I only had one chore to do every day and I didn't feel overwhelmed. I still had some daily things (dishes, everyday cleaning, etc) but it didn't seem like so much when I broke it up like that.

I made it a goal to get out of the house with the baby every day. Take a walk, get lunch, sit outside (if it's warm) or go to the store (even if it's just to window shop).

Also, try to find someplace where you can socialize with other adults. MOPS, mommies groups, church (if you're religious), anything. Even if it's only once a month. Just having something like that where you can connect with other women in your situation will be a good thing.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • You sound like me, and I had PPD.  The best thing to do is talk to your doctor.  If it's not PPD, then it's not, but if it is there is a lot they can do for you!

I had the same issues keeping up with the house.  Can you and your H create a cleaning schedule?  Make it so that 2 "chores" per day get done and make each of you responsible for one of them.  If he works and you SAH, maybe you could take the bigger chore and he can just do a load of laundry or take responsibility for the dishes or something?

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Loading the player...
  • I can relate to you. I had one with colic and I have twins. There are days i cry with them with the teething or if they are sick its a lot!! Dinner? Are you kidding? The kids come first. Their needs are so much that I don't have time. Buy a flat of chunky soup for your husband and tell him to heat it up. My husband used to expect dinner and now he knows it depends on the day. We have a diner that delivers and if we are that hungry we will order. As far as chores I have a morning routine during naps. I attack bottles, wash, and restocking the changing table. I do light Cleaning but have hired a service to do the rest biweekly it's the only help I have. I have never worked so hard in my life! But know you aren't alone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards