C-sections
Options

Alone after csection

I posted this to Single Parents, too, but I am starting to freak out about my scheduled RCS since I had a husband to help me through my first surgery and recovery and this time I am on my own. My family and my ex have said they will help, but no one is going to be able to be there 24 hrs a day with me. And I love them but they all have a tendency to flake at the last minute. I am really worried about those first couple weeks. And not being able to pick up DS for 2 months. And the stairs in my house. Anyone been through this on their own and have advice?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Alone after csection

• Options

I haven't been through this as a single parent, but I can share tips I used for when DH was at work:

- Get a rock and play to keep in your bedroom- much easier to lift baby in/out of for the first few weeks instead of reaching over a crib or bassinet.  Or get an arm's reach co-sleeper so baby is very close.  Have a PNP set up downstairs for diaper changes, naps, etc. and keep extra changes of clothes, diapers, wipes, burpies, etc. stored in it to avoid multiple trips up and down the stairs.

- Schedule all your pedi visits together with your family to make sure someone can go with you the first few weeks to help get the car seat in/out of the car.

- Take advantage of family help for running errands and shopping and set whatever you can to be delivered (Amazon groceries, diapers.com, etc.).

I believe you're allowed to carry baby from the beginning and can start lifting car seat, etc. after 2 weeks.

ETA: You could also leave the bucket of the car seat in the base in the car, so that all you have to do is put LO in/out of the seat instead of lifting the whole thing....that does leave you carrying baby around though- maybe you could use a sling for the first few weeks? 

Good luck, mama!   

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    the first time my husband went home at night and the second time I was alone much of the time because we have our older daughter.  I would send the baby to the nursery at night so I could sleep.  Itworked out fine.  The first day I would try to have someone there with you because you won't be getting out of bed, etc.  
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you mean at home or in the hospital? I sent DD to the nursery when I was alone at night in the hospital. At home, I felt pretty good and hardly needed any pain meds after the first day or two. By 23 weeks, I was almost back to normal.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I am actually more worried about the first couple weeks home because if all else fails there will be nurses in the hospital! I'm glad to hear from most 2 time CS momma's that their 2nd recovery was easier. I just remembered crying because the pain was so bad the first few days home and they hadn't given me pain meds. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle a newborn and 2 1/2 year old while in that kind of pain on my own. Here's hoping my family comes through!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would seriously think of hiring a post partum doula for the first week. I was a mess and there is NO way I could have done it alone. I couldn't even put my underwear on alone for the first few days or pick my baby up out of her pack and play. I was released at 3 days. I would check with the hospital and let them know the situation and see if you can stay longer. You may really need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"