Attachment Parenting

FTM Co Sleeping Question

We got an in bed cosleeper for when LO gets here. We have a Cal King bed, so I am not worried about having enough room, but I have a question about blankets.

Do you and DH each use one blanket (my thought) or do you put the cosleeper on top of the blankets (DH's thought)? I worry that if we use the same blanket LO- or worse, one of us- could accidentally pull the blankets up and cover his face. Is this fear totally irrational?? I can't stop thinking about it.

Excited to cosleep but worried about that one detail... TIA for any advice!  

PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
 Lilypie - (KAFM)

Re: FTM Co Sleeping Question

• Hi and congrats! Since your bed is so big, could you just have the cosleeper next to you? We tried a cosleeper, but my lo did not like it. I was also worried about all of the blankets and pillows... And my dh is a ridiculously heavy sleeper. I soon got rid of the cosleeper and just had my lo next to me. I use one blanket waist high and one pillow. Also, a close fitting shirt. It was much easier and less stressful for me to just have her by me than both... If you do have the cosleeper in the middle, I would suggest separate blankets at waist height and pillow each.
  • We didn't use a cosleeper with DS, but have a snugglenest thing this time around.  We used separate blankets to make it easier to keep them on our own side of the bed and off DS.  I just wore a sleep bra and used a sheet on my bottom half. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DH and I have separate blankets.  DD and I share.  Like PP, waist height and one pillow.  Your fear isn't irrational, it is something to be careful about, but it's not as tricky as you would imagine.  You'll be much more aware of LO than you think.  Plus, because this caution is already in your head, you'll be extra conscientious about where all the blankets are.   At least I was.  I was afraid/thought the same things and once we actually did it, it was fine. 

You'll love co-sleeping.  I have 3 friends with LO's the same age and I swear I get the most sleep.  I really think it helps, especially with nursing.  GL!

• We had an in-bed co-sleeper, but DS didn't end up liking it. He wanted to be directly in the bed, directly beside me. And it is much snugglier that way. :)

Here's what is working for us: We put our bed mattress on the floor beside the wall. DS sleeps between me and the wall. I worried about him falling off the bed and I worried about him being between me and DH because fathers are less likely to be aware of a baby in the bed when they are sleeping like a mother is. Also, we just use a sheet, no heavy blankets....just dress warmer. And I don't use a pillow. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Forgive me for hi-jacking this post with a related question...

To the moms who said their LO's didn't like the in-bed co-sleeper, how young did you begin just having them in bed with you? A couple months? A few weeks? A few days?

I haven't bought an in-bed co-sleeper yet, but have been planning to... Because I'm a FTM and I'm scared of brand new babies, so going without one sounds reckless for me lol  

PS- thanks, OP, for posting this. I actually came on this board to read about these kinds of issues :)  

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"