April 2012 Moms
Options

BM to formula

Our pedi said to start the transition from BM to cows milk around LO's 1st birthday. Well, I am dried up and my freezer stash is nearly gone (it has lasted almost 2 months!). I guess I am going to need to do formula for about 2 months....how did you ladies go from BM to formula, if you did so? He isn't a great "real food" eater and still does a lot of milk. He only had formula 2 or 3 times before my milk came in. Needing advice here...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BM to formula

• Options
    We did a few oz of formula mixed with BM. Gradually we upped the formula and reduced the BM. We started with similac sensitive, Dr. recommended it. Good luck!
  • Options

image9.8.07C&M:
    We did a few oz of formula mixed with BM. Gradually we upped the formula and reduced the BM. We started with similac sensitive, Dr. recommended it. Good luck!

This is what we did. C takes ~6oz bottles and we did 5 oz BM, 1oz formula for about 3 days then 4oz BM, 2 oz formula for 3 days....etc. He had only had formula once or twice before really early on. He didn't take long to transition to full formula - he has been on 100% formula for about 2 weeks now and is doing fine. (Similac Sensitive) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I ended up in the hospital with an abscess from mastitis so we had to switch right away. My MIL tried feeding frozen bm to her but she refused. I think it was a lipase issue but not sure. We had to do full formula. I was not there but from what they told me it was not too bad. I was in the hospital a week and when I got home she acted like she loved the formula. We had to do dairy free. Good luck. 
  • Options

DS had to take a bottle of formula when he was 8 days old because I had to go to the ER.  He took it just fine. 

We started supplementing with formula at about 2.5 months.  Initially, I'd offer a bottle after BFing, and then eventually he was getting bottles of formula.  Also, we started with Similac and switched to Target brand.  DS had absolutely no issues with any of the transitions

• Options
    Thanks for the ideas ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"