January 2013 Moms
Options

Induction via water break questions

Ok ladies.  If this little one doesn't come out on her own I'm going in for an induction at 2:30 Wednesday morning.  Since I'm already 4CM dilated and 75% effaced my doc said that she would break my water and start me on pitocin.  So, some questions for anyone who has been through this before.

1) Should I ask them to hold off on the Pitocin to see if just breaking the water does anything?  (They may do that anyway I need to get clarification)

2) What has your experience been if you've had your water broken.  Tell me step by step, don't leave anything out.  (I probably should have asked more questions at my last appointment but I didn't...)

Still have five hours for this full moon to do its job....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Induction via water break questions

• Options
    It will most likely go pretty fast if you just do both. Are you planning on getting an epi? If so make sure they will do it soon after. I had to wait an hour and a half and ended up throwing up due to the pain! I can't tell you step by step the process of breaking of the water but for me she was checking me and then slid a tool in and then I felt a rush of water. It really was no big deal. Good luck though. Hopefully everything will just start on its own!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm lurking the birth stories on this board and thought I'd chime in:). My water was broken with my second at 5cm, 60% effaced, 39w3d.  The reason was because i was GBS positive with a history of fast labors, and we wanted to do our best to get a dose or two of abx.  I got the abx at 6am.  Water was broken at 8am.  I refused pitocin.  It took about 2 hours of walking to get to intense contractions, but I continued to progress during that time.  contractions got noticeable around10 (I was at 7cms), intense and painful by 11:30(8.5cms), and she was here around 1pm.  The hospital really pushed pitocin, but I wanted to avoid an epi and pushed back a lot.  I also knew from experience with my first that once labor started, it would've fast... So I was comfortable that we had plenty of time before time became an issue.
    Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wasn't induced but I would probably try and get a few hours after they break your water before you start pitocin. My contractions were far apart until my water broke and all of the sudden things picked up really quickly, if that's the case for you might be able to skip pitocin entirely. Good luck!
  • Options

imagethis decaf life:
    I wasn't induced but I would probably try and get a few hours after they break your water before you start pitocin. My contractions were far apart until my water broke and all of the sudden things picked up really quickly, if that's the case for you might be able to skip pitocin entirely. Good luck!

That's what I was thinking.  My body is seemingly getting ready.  My BH have been much stronger today so if I make it to Wednesday I'm thinking my body will be pretty primed for labor at that point.  If I can get away without the Pitocin I'd prefer it.  I'm not opposed to it but I'd prefer to minimize the medical extras to the extent that I can.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was sent in to be induced at my 40 week appt after my u/s showed low fluid levels. I was only 1.5cm along when my dr broke my water. That was at 2pm, my contractions were painful enough that I asked for my epi at 5pm and was 4cm, then DD was born at 9pm. They will probably wait a couple hours to see if you progress on your own, if not just tell them you don't want the pitocin. Good luck!

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options
    I was induced on Monday by having my midwife break my water. I was 6 cm dilated at the office visit and she had me go in that afternoon. She broke my water and had me walk the hallways. I did so for about an hour and a half, got checked and was at 8 cm. my labor intensified at that point and took me laboring in the jacuzzi for about 45 mins when I got to a 9 cm. my son was born 3 hours after water breaking. It was awesome. Good luck. Try to go no pitocin at first and see what your body does. Good luck!
    photo 8614cb38-d577-4c0f-bbe8-185495dd3bea_zpsd7fc2b80.jpg
  • Options
    With my son I was having horrible contractions on my own dilated to a 7 and the dr wanted to break my water. I'm not sure if it was the contractions the pressure or the actual water breaking but it was really painful for me. I had him completely natural no meds. They tilted my bed so my head was lower than my body and they have this long stick with a hook on the end of it. It's really fast but for me it was painful. I'm hoping not to experience it again. I'm scheduled to be induced in the morning. Hoping my water will break after my contractions start
  • Options
    I was 16 days late and they did a foley to get me to 4cm the day before induction.. and I think i wasnt very thinned out.  I wasnt super prepared so they just told me what they were doing and didnt give me choices.. Good idea going in prepared.. They broke my water immediately, and started pit right away.. THen they spent the entire day increasing it.  I started at 9 am and we went for 7 hours with really crazy contractions.. Finally 7 hrs in I got an epi bc i was dying and i had only made 5 cm they assured me that I would progress at that point but then went all the way till 9 pm and barely made it to almost 6cm.  At 9pm they put me on the highest does of pitocin allowed and went for 3 hours and nothing!  I was effacing but not getting anywhere as far as dilation.  They finally discovered at 12am that baby was turned sideways so not really putting pressure on the cervix.  I ended up with a CS at 1:00AM  Good luck hope you go into labor before but def. go in with questions and preferences and tell them how you'd like it to go.. 

Married 5/2/09 To my best friend 
    Lillianna Faith Born 8/26/10- My big girl kindergartner!
    Peach- MC 3/2012
    Logan Christopher Born 2/3/13- My little fighter, cardiac defects, 2 cancer scares and more surgery, tests, MRIs, cat scans, xrays than most people would have to face their whole life.   

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"