Blended Families
Options

Long distance parenting and CS payments

If your X lives out of state, how do you get or send cs payments?  My XH doesn't want to go through the state with garnishments, but we are trying to figure out the best way for him to pay without having to mail a check (he forgets).  We've tried paypal, and he didn't like that they took out a fee.  I suggested billpay, but he is having issues figuring that out.  We need something easy that will automatically transfer the money from his account to mine every other week, and neither one of us are willing to change banks.   Any suggestions for us?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Long distance parenting and CS payments

• Options

We didn't have a choice about going through the state.  It ended up being required that DH send his payments through the state.  And apparently it was BM's decision whether or not to use IDO.  She chose to do this.

My best suggestion for automatic payments every 2 weeks is online bill pay through his bank.  Alot of them will let you set up a recurring payment.  His bank will just send you a check.

• Options
    We live in IL, but Iowa still takes the CS directly from his paycheck. It just has a little more lag time to set up or if he changes jobs or something.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

He should be able to go to his bank and request and automatic ACH payment.  You will have to provide him your routing and account numbers (and I would only do this if you trust him A LOT or if you can go to his bank with him and provide the information to them directly).

Honestly, if this were me, I would say "honey, if you can't remember to write a check and mail it then sorry for ya, we're going through the state."  But other options are out there.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options

Honestly, I would go through the state and garnish the check. 

The reality is, every time he "forgets" (really, you forget to pay the money that feeds and clothes your kids?) he opens himself up to contempt charges, eventual garnishment of wages, and maybe even jail.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

We have been on both sides of this - my exh could not decide how to pay (so he just elected not to, sigh) and the BM of skids wants money a different way every month (and used to expect DH to do this). 

In both cases we took the same approach.  We are not responsible for our former spouse's life organization.  It's nice to list out some options for him.  If he doesn't like any of them let him know what date you will file with CSE for wage garnishment.  It's not being mean or adversarial IMO, it's making sure exh pays to support his kids in a way that doesn't rely on him to remember.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Bill pay is probably the smartest and if he's having trouble figuring it out, he can go to his bank and they can SHOW HIM.  He's pulling your chain I think and making excuses.

Another way - get a Walmart shared pre-paid card.  It's the black one.  He has one, you have one.  It costs $3 I think to set up and he can go to Walmart, or go online and put money on the card. 

Personally, I think you should insist it go thru the state.  He's a fool not to. What if you say I didn't get the money?  And what's to say that it's child support? 

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Options
    When DH and BM seperated they had a joint account he would deposit support payments to. Once their divorce was finalized BM had an option to go through the state but she opted to continue the "transfer funds" method that had already worked for them. DH and BM have the same bank so transfering funds from one account to the other is instant while going through the state has a delay. In six years DH has never been late on any payments and during deployments when he knew he wouldnt have access to the internet he would pay her in advance. I know everyone's situation is different, but this works for us bc DH feels a responsibility to his child.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"