Indiana Babies

WWYD re: Keepsake

I am trying to purge all the stuff in our home before we pack everything up and move. Today I came across a quilt which was quilted for me by my grandmother, who is deceased. She quilted one for each of her 13 grandchildren. I received mine probably 10 years ago, and since that time it has remained in a clear plastic bag stored in the attic or basement of wherever I've lived. I've never used it. Honestly, it is heinous. It is hot pink mixed with a bunch of 60s-70s colors and polyester, since all of the fabric came from scraps my grandmother had from making my mom and her siblings' clothes when they were young. I cannot imagine a scenario in which I would ever use or display this quilt, or pass it on to Jocelyn. So, I keep it stored. This seems silly. So, WWYD - keep it, stored for eternity because it is a "keepsake" or find some worthy use for it, like donating to a shelter or something? I feel terrible for even asking, but I'm just trying to be very practical about what we keep in the move!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD re: Keepsake

• I would pass it on to your child as her baby blanket. It's going to get used at a shelter just as much as it would with your child. I would keep something like that in the family. I still have the blanket I was brought home from the hospital in and it will be the blanket my child is brought home in as well as his/her baby blanket. Congrats and good luck.
  • Thanks for the thoughts. But, I don't have any "babies" any more and no more planned - my kids are almost 2 and 4 and have well-established blankets of their own. Plus, this is a huge bedspread-sized quilt that I won't ever use as a bedspread. I suppose I can keep it for fort-building purposes...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I have one of those...I use it as a picnic blanket....

My gma is probably flipping over in her grave.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• My motto is "when in doubt, throw it out" (or into the Goodwill pile), but DH is more sentimental than I am, so we have a bunch of junk just sitting in boxes that we'll never use.

I like the idea of using it as a picnic / outdoor blanket. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would take a bunch of photos of it and then pass it on for someone else to put to good use. If you're crafty make a scrapbook page of it with your grandmother's picture or something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"