2nd Trimester

Apparently breastpump coverage is required under Obamacare!

I saw this on NPR's website just so, so I called my health insurance company and they said rental's and purchases were covered if I used this one specific group. I am pumped! Apparently this new part of the ACA just went into effect after the new year? Hooray! I have mine from DD#1 but I wanted to rent a hospital grade and that is not cheap!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Apparently breastpump coverage is required under Obamacare!

• Some plans will only cover a manual, but most seem to be doing more than the bare minimum.
  • Be sure to call the company that your insurance contracts through.  I called, and there is a waiting list and they will only register you for a pump if you're 30 days from your due date.  Also, they only have 3 models to choose from.  It's nice to save $300 though!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine only covers a manual.
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I heard about this a couple of weeks ago! Definitely will have to look into it! Thanks for the reminder :-) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine only covers a $50 reimbursement for a pump.  I was so bummed when they told me that.  I thought they had to cover the full cost of an electric one.  :(
  • Here's another thing: your insurance provider may give you a listing of 100 companies in your area that provide them. You can call & call...half of the businesses are closed, and the other 48 stopped providing breast pumps. It's been a big, fat, pain in the A$$ for a lot of people.

For a lot of the companies, the breast pumps never get returned, people leave/move, and the company ends up eating the costs, and overall it hasn't panned out as a good deal for them, so they just stop handling that equipment. 

But, yes, in theory, it's great. 

• I called and my insurance said that my "plan" doesn't cover it. Is it required by law or not? I have very good insurance which covers everything so I don't get it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker

• imagekimmarie1105:
    I called and my insurance said that my "plan" doesn't cover it. Is it required by law or not? I have very good insurance which covers everything so I don't get it.nbsp;

I'd press the issue. The legislation took effect August 2012. My plan renews in July, so I won't be eligible until July 1st 2013. Maybe you're in the same boat. However, some plans, if they were in place prior to March 2010, might not be required to cover pumps under the Affordable Care Act. I would talk dates with your insurance company to see if either of these issues apply to you. If it's the first situation, you might have some coverage if you wait until your plan renews; if it's the second, there might not be much you can do :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekimmarie1105:
    I called and my insurance said that my "plan" doesn't cover it. Is it required by law or not? I have very good insurance which covers everything so I don't get it. 

I am in the same boat as you.  We have very good insurance through my husband's (large) employer and my H just called them tonight.  They won't cover the cost of pumps until Jan 2014.  I guess they have a special pass until then.  I am bummed to say the least :(  However, I am very thankful for such good insurance otherwise!

• imagekimmarie1105:
    I called and my insurance said that my "plan" doesn't cover it. Is it required by law or not? I have very good insurance which covers everything so I don't get it. 

I have Aetna, and according to their website, if your plan is "grandfathered," they don't have to cover the breast pump under most conditions. That means there is a way for insurance companies to weasel out of providing you with a pump.

https://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/400_499/0421.html

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • Mine will only cover a single electric which will not work once I am back at work.
  • imagerochella:

imagetokenhoser:
    Some plans will only cover a manual, but most seem to be doing more than the bare minimum.

My plan will only cover a manual.  I was incredibly disappointed.  

Yup. Same here.

Thankfully my friend offered for me to borrow hers. Of course, I'd buy new attachments and such. She has an Avent one so I guess I'd have to use those bottles at least to pump straight into them.  

Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The title to this post is wrong. If you have a "private" insurance, then no Obamacare is not required.

https://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-facts.php

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagesouthernmommie:
    The title to this post is wrong. If you have a "private" insurance, then no Obamacare is not required. nbsp;https://obamacarefacts.com/obamacarefacts.php

I'm confused about what you're saying. Obamacare isn't a type of coverage, it's a dumb label for the ACA, with which private insurance companies are required to comply. They have i believe one more year to keep the grandfathered plans, but many mine included have already changed policies to comply with the mandate. So yes, all of those "things" set forth by the ACA apply to private insurers.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • imagesouthernmommie:

The title to this post is wrong. If you have a "private" insurance, then no Obamacare is not required.

https://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-facts.php

From the site you cited (https://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-womens-health-services.php), I found the following:

Women across America will benefit from the new provisions and protections in the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare). As of Aug. 1st, 2012, or at their next renewal date, women will have access to a large number of preventative services which will be completely covered by the insurance companies. These services include:

? Well-woman visits.

? Gestational diabetes screening that helps protect pregnant women from one of the most serious pregnancy-related diseases.

? Domestic and interpersonal violence screening and counseling.

? FDA-approved contraceptive methods, and contraceptive education and counseling.

? Breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling.

etc...

So, according to that site, private insurers will eventually have to provide for breast pumps.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • I have yet to hear a success story with this. Either the company provides only manual or the rental companies they contract with for electrics don't have any available.  I'd love to hear any success stories. 

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • imagekellyrn9956:
    I have yet to hear a success story with this. Either the company provides only manual or the rental companies they contract with for electrics don't have any available. nbsp;I'd love to hear any success stories.nbsp;

I know quite a few people who have gotten them, including two of my coworkers.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • imagekellyrn9956:

I have yet to hear a success story with this. Either the company provides only manual or the rental companies they contract with for electrics don't have any available.  I'd love to hear any success stories. 

I have a regional HMO and they cover the Ameda Purely Yours. It must be purchased at a place associated with the hospital. I haven't gone yet but I have several friends that have and it was an easy process for them. They went, picked it up and it was directly billed to the HMO. I have an old policy that has not renewed but I have already called and its already covered on my "grandfathered" policy. I have a Medela Freestyle from when I had my daughter so I'm going to call this week to see if instead of getting an new pump, I can get new tubing... We will see if that happens!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"