Georgia Babies

Anyone have to do growth scans during late pregnancy?

The doctor was worried at my 32 week appt. this week because I only gained one pound in a month and decided to do a growth scan. They told me they estimated the weight to be 3lb 14oz, which is 15th percentile. He told me that is low but still normal, but it if goes below 10th percentile, it is abnormal. So, he wants to check me again in 2 weeks to make sure he is either maintaining his percentile or going up. I'm wondering what they are going to do if he has gone down in percentile? I was too scared to ask!

My son was born at 39 weeks at 6lb 6 oz, so he was pretty small; so, I guess I'm just hoping that this one is following the same course. I feel like my weight gain with this pregnancy is pretty much mirroring my last pregnancy, but for some reason they are concerned this time around. Anyone go through these growth scans? I read they can be pretty inaccurate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have to do growth scans during late pregnancy?

• I had to have them with both DDs.  With my first, I was measuring "large for dates."  They ended up telling me that she was around 7 lbs the week before her birth.  She was 9lbs!!  They were more than slightly off.  I had them with #2 because I had gestational diabetes and the babies can tend to be larger.  I was fine with it because it meant more chances to see their little faces.  :)  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My sister had to do them weekly with her son (now 20 months). Her baby was measuring really small. She was borderline IUGR and had terrible, persistent morning sickness - which mean neither she or baby were putting on weight. All they really did aside from the weekly monitoring was put her on protein shakes three times a day from about 36 weeks on. Her son was born at 6 lbs. 4 oz. Tiny, but not as small as they had feared.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I had gestational diabetes with my first child so I had them to make sure she wasn't too big.  Then around 37 weeks, they thought she was measuring too small, so I had to have another one.  The measurements were all over the place each time, and she was born at 40 weeks exactly and weighted 7 lbs, 8.8 oz.  Absolutely no problems.  I never really put much stock into the growth scans, but I agree that I liked the excuse to see the baby.  

I hope you have a smooth rest of your pregnancy, try not to worry! 

• I had to do them weekly for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy with Colin. I wasn't gaining very much weight, so at first they were worried he was growing enough. Then I got gestational diabetes again and it was harder to control this time so I had to be on medication. Anyway, even though I wasn't gaining much weight, he was always growing fine. Mine were pretty accurate I think. He was born healthy at 7 lb 15 oz the day before his due date. It was nice to see him every week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"