Pregnant after IF

IUI and a higher % of girls??

My sister was telling me that she heard that if you had an IUI you have a higher chance of having a girl..... Any thoughts ladies? Have you ever heard this? She said it had something to do with when the semen is centrifuged? 

Trust me I could truly care less what we have just happy I'm here and experiencing this!  I had just never heard this and was wondering if there was any facts to it?

ITS A GIRL!!! TTC 8/11 November Clomid 150mg+trigger+IUI+TI= BFP<br>
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
Eleanor Roosevelt 
image image 

Re: IUI and a higher % of girls??

• Never really heard that before, but we did an IUI (stuck on first go, yay!) and I'm expecting a boy. It was very obvious he is a boy as well... so no mistakes there. Lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hmm, I've never heard of that.  I had an IUI and a girl, that's funny!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • A lot of infertility procedures skew the sex ratios slightly. The max I've seen is a 52%, 48% ratio though so nothing crazy. I'm not sure specifically on IUI and girls, but I'd believe that the odds of a girl could go up by 1% or so.
    Photobucket
  • See I thought the opposite was true because XY sperm is faster and more fragile so it's most effective closer to the moment of ovulation, which is when all of my IUIs were.
  • imagenotquiteblushing:
    See I thought the opposite was true because XY sperm is faster and more fragile so it's most effective closer to the moment of ovulation, which is when all of my IUIs were.

I've always heard the opposite as well. 

04/07/11- PCOS Diagnosis w/GYN. Put on Metformin (1500 mgs)
    04/25/11- 1st consultation with RE (Confirmed PCOS & Anovulation)
    05/09/11-HSG-All clear! 05/13/11-SA-Normal. Found out on 2/14/12, low Morph (1%).
    06/17/11-10 days of Clomid (100, 150) No response.
    07/10/11-03/20/12- 5 Injectable (Follistim) IUI cycles; 4 BFN, 1 C/P. (stims ranged from 11 days to 25 days)
    05/28/12-Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. 75 mcg Synthroid.

IVF with ICSI in June/July 2013 = BFP!. Beta # 1 = 123. Beta # 2 = 252. Due March 25th. Baby boy arrived March 27, 2013!

FET #1 - 10/4/14 = BFP!! Beta #1 = 179. Beta # 2 = 499. Due June 22nd.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I had heard this and asked my nurse about it.

IIRC correctly, she said something about them swimming faster or being less dense so they could get there faster?

ETA: or when its spun they go to the top faster

We were talking about it really casually so it wasnt a very scientific conversation, lol.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Interesting to say the least! Thanks ladies just wondered! :)
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • I heard something about the way the sperm is spun to separate from seminal fluid might increase chances for a girl but I still think there is a 50/50 chance for either sex. 
    Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've often thought about this, but in the other direction. The baby I'm carrying is the 5th one in 6 years to be conceived through IVF by teachers at my school. (We think "it's" in the water) (eye roll). All 5 are boys!
    Married 6/08, TTC 7/09
    MC w/ D&C 3/11 ~ 9.5 weeks
    CP/MC 1/12 ~ 5 weeks
    2 IUI's w/ BFN
    IVF 6/12 ~ 8R, 0F ~ Rescue ISCI gave us 3dt of 2 (6 cell, 9+ cell)
    DS born ~ 3/3/13
    IVF 6/14 ~ Operation Sibling ~ 10R, 5F ~ 5dt of 1 Blast
    Beta 1: 1600+, Beta 2: 4588
    Everyone Welcome!
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker image

• imageJenny935:
    I've often thought about this, but in the other direction. The baby I'm carrying is the 5th one in 6 years to be conceived through IVF by teachers at my school. (We think "it's" in the water) (eye roll). All 5 are boys!

That's really interesting! 

Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • In the world of fertility treatments, the ratios are slightly higher for getting boys with IUI and girls from IVF.  The IUI due to timing with Shettles method and girls from IVF for a few disputed reasons.  I had IUI and I would assume its a boy but there are two things working in our favor for a girl. 1: we used frozen sperm so by freezing you kill off some sperm (usually the weaker boy sperm) and thawing kills off more and 2: the fact that during centrifuging the heavier bulkier female sperm are spun and due to filling the syringe and catheter, are the first inserted or deposited.  I would love to have a boy first so I'm hoping the odds are in my favor but with Hubby's side being all boys and now even 2 nephews, a girl would be awesome.  
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"