Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Sitting up and falling forward during sleep

My DD is 10 months this friday.  She is a terrible sleeper and wakes up every two-three hours every night.  In addition, when she wakes up she will sit up and sometimes fall forward (bend herself in half) and fall asleep again face down. Sometimes she bangs her head against the crib even with bumpers and cries.  If i try to lay her back down from this "fall forward" position, she starts crying and then i have to put her back to the breast which is the only way she calms down and falls asleep again.  Does anyone elses baby do this? I feel so alone and think this is such a strange pattern.  I still get concerned that shes not able to breathe face down because she doesnt turn her head sideways and of course this makes me and my husband not be able to sleep soundly and worry all night. 

Re: Sitting up and falling forward during sleep

• My son has always been a good sleeper but he does that in his sleep, too. I've seen him sit up, slump over and ooze back down on his tummy but by the time I get in to check on him, he's already totally out again. Is your daughter still sort of sitting up when she falls asleep again? Does she not lie back down? If that's the case, I would think that she couldn't be flat on the mattress so she should be able to breathe well. Even if she is lying face down but knows how to roll and sit up no problem, I would think that she would be fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DDs both did this, except without bumping their heads. DD2 routinely falls asleep folded in half. DD1 used to get her arms and legs stuck in the slats of the crib and would cry but go back to sleep once we set her free. Keep the interference with her minimal. They toss and turn all night long, and at any given time will have their faces covered or smushed or any other number of "scary" positions. They know how to get out of those positions by now. I keep her fan on low at night, even when it is cool out because I feel it keeps air circulating around her face. Maybe try that?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yeah, I know that problem. Because of that problem I actually had to bring DS's crib and push it against ours so I can hear him sitting up in his sleep/ He did and now rarely does it usually when he is trying to turn onto his belly and ends up sitting up.
    Like I said I have him next to us so I can help him back to sleep. He has one of those "Halo Snuza " sleeping alerts which attaches to his diaper and if he wouldn't be breathing it would go off after 20 seconds without him breathing, which helps me sleep at night.  It sometimes goes off because he moves too much and it detaches but it's worth it. He is a terrible sleeper as well. Wakes up every 2 hours and most of the times I'll have to nurse him back to sleep :(  He is now spoiled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"