January 2012 Moms

help from the more experienced!

I'm visiting from the May 2012 board hoping for some "been there - done that" advice.  My 8 month old is absolutely refusing to eat anything except yogurt or bananas.  She just spits it out.. all over her, me, and anything else within spitting range.     To top it off.. I'm an exclusive BF and I think that my milk has been low lately  (stress)... She has to eat!!  But do I give in an just feed her her preferences just to get something in her? I mean...  with my milk being low I feel like I really should be making sure she gets vitamins from the foods she's eating...

Did anyone else go through this?  Can it be fixed? 

Re: help from the more experienced!

• If I a single regret, it's over stressing so much over food!  I'd give in for at least a few weeks (as long as she isn't appearing to lose weight - ie still having a good amount of diapers).  I was able to mix avacado with banana for my LO and that is great in terms of calories/healthy fat.  DD also love the pouches.  DD also loves pancakes, so I mix a lot of "good" food into her pancakes.  Continue to offer other foods to her, but she's 8 months and just because she is picky now, it doesn't mean she will be picky forever.  Good luck and give yourself a break.  You're doing great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lp0lp0 member
    I ebf until my ds turned one. I introduced cereal and fruit at about 4 months and moved on from there.. I can't offer too much advice as my ds has always been an awesome eater but as I understand it the primary source of nutrition for the first year is breast milk or formula. Maybe if you feel like your supply is dwindling you should substitute in some formula, I know probably not what you want to hear.  I would still encourage solids regularly and hide the yucky stuff in with the stuff your lo loves. As long as she is not losing weight and I not screaming from being hungry I wouldn't stress so much about it right now. She may just need some time to get used to the new textures and favors. Good luck!
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • My son is still bad at eating and he's almost 13 months old. I actually talked to the pediatrician today about it since I get so stressed out and hard on myself and she said to just keep offering different foods. Babies will not knowingly starve themselves. I still give him table food and if he's not eating much I'm still giving him purees and she said that was still fine eventually he'll get the hang of it. Don't worry, 8 months is still pretty young and they just need milk for the main part of their diet and food is practice till they're a year old. Good luck and like the PP's said don't be hard on yourself I'm sure you're doing great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Try mixing fruit with the yogurt if you aren't already.  I mixed any fruit I could find in the house with it.  Peaches, pears, banana, strawberry, mango, whatever is available.

• DS didn't start eating well until about 10.5 months.  At that point he was still hardly eating anything, so I dropped a bottle and within a couple days his eating really picked up.  He still goes through phases with his food.  There's things he used to like that he no longer does.  I think a lot has to do with textures...what he feels comfortable eating and what he feels like putting the effort into eating.  

Anniversary

• DD refused more than a spoon or two any and all purees. I tried, and tried, and tried. She only liked peach yogurt and even at that would only eat about 1-2T. She was nursing regularly, though. I finally just accepted that was how she was how she was going to eat. Finally around 9-10 months I started her on finger foods and she LOVED them! There was no turning back. She still eats like a bird, but eats everything she's offered... just not a puree girl. 
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At 8 months it's really not that big of a deal. At this point it's more for fun and practice of eating solids in general. It shouldn't be the main source of food/nutrients. Try offering other foods even if it's just a half a spoon, then you can give your LO what she likes.

also, if your milk is really low, maybe add a little formula in there. At least per our pedi, that is still the most important food source and if you need a little extra to help out, try adding the formula.

Also, don't be alarmed when your LO starts eating well and then goes back to refusing everything. My DD was a great eater, then all of a sudden (for the past month almost) she won't eat hardly any solids. A bit here and there, unless it's puffs and baby "junk" food as I call it....

All just a phase that will pass.. :)

• Also, my LO outright refused to even let the spoon in her mouth when she was teething. Maybe that could be contributing, too?
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• At my daughter's 9 month check up she was in the 10th percentile. She had been refusing to eat purees for a while. Her pediactrician said if she was willing to eat off our plates to let her eat what she wanted. She loved it! She never would eat meat baby food but she loved meatloaf and deli meats and such. Good Luck, but it's not a real big deal right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"