September 2012 Moms

Crib vs Swing

So I need a little advice. We are trying to transition C from sleeping at night in her swing to her crib. It has been a little rough. She would STTN in her swing with maybe one MOTN feeding but once we put her in her crib she wakes up every hour or so. I posted on here the other day about white noise and tried a continuous one last night. It helped a little but she is still waking up a lot.

I ended up putting her back in her swing at about 5am this morning and she fell right back to sleep. It also seemed like more peaceful sleep....KWIM. She wasn't thrashing around like she does in her crib.

So what would S12 do? Do I continue to put her in her crib and hopefully she will get used to it or should I go back to putting her in her swing for a couple of more weeks and then try the crib again?

Sorry for the rambling.

imageimageimage

Re: Crib vs Swing

• It will suck for everyone, but you need to keep her in her crib.  She can't sleep in the swing forever.  It will probably only take her like a week to get use to it.

And I'm certainly not talking about CIO... just comfort her and put her back in the crib.

Have you tried starting her with naps in the crib? 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Is she swaddled or unswaddled in the crib? 

It sounds like, if she is thrashing, that she may feel more snug in the swing so she is able to sleep better.  Maybe a sleep positioner would help the transition?

• Loading the player...
  • Google "weaning from swing". The HBOTB guide to great sleep book has a whole section on it. Let me know if you can't find it and ill look it up in my boom for you.
    ~The Bumpie formerly known as SpartyMom2B~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrs.jenni:

It will suck for everyone, but you need to keep her in her crib.  She can't sleep in the swing forever.  It will probably only take her like a week to get use to it.

And I'm certainly not talking about CIO... just comfort her and put her back in the crib.

She is at daycare during the day and has to nap in a crib. Some days she naps pretty well and other days she naps like crap. I agree with you though....I will probably have to stick it out with the crib. Hopefully she will get used to it quickly. Thanks.
    imageimageimage

• imagedelaine0821:

Is she swaddled or unswaddled in the crib? 

It sounds like, if she is thrashing, that she may feel more snug in the swing so she is able to sleep better.  Maybe a sleep positioner would help the transition?

I think you are spot on with her feeling more snug in the swing. We don't have her swaddled in the crib because she can almost roll over back to front and sleeps on her side a lot.
    imageimageimage

• imagemrs.jenni:

It will suck for everyone, but you need to keep her in her crib.  She can't sleep in the swing forever.  It will probably only take her like a week to get use to it.

I agree with all this & would suggest swaddling to try & make LO feel like being in the swing. GL!

• imageSparty On:
    Google "weaning from swing". The HBOTB guide to great sleep book has a whole section on it. Let me know if you can't find it and ill look it up in my boom for you.
    Thanks for the reference. I will try to find it. If not, I may have you look it up. Thanks!!
    imageimageimage

• imageSparty On:
    Google "weaning from swing". The HBOTB guide to great sleep book has a whole section on it. Let me know if you can't find it and ill look it up in my boom for you.

Would you mind posting some info from your book? I have tried making the transition to the crib several times and it never goes that well. I usually end up giving up at around 4am and putting him back in the swing so we can all get some sleep.

imageimage

• We are in the middle of this transition...just started with the crib last Saturday night.

It has been a little rough. Some nights are better than others, and I wouldn't say it's a TOTAL disaster. I definitely see some progress, though. For a while my DH was of the opinion that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just leave her in the swing for a few more weeks." But like Jenni said, the transition is inevitable and we might as well just get it over with.

A few nights ago we discovered that my DD likes to sleep on her tummy. I wasn't thrilled about that, but she rolls over on her own so there is not much I can do. Several people recommended sleep positioners or putting towels under the sheet to recreate the secure feeling of the swing. Personally, I was just not comfortable with the SIDS risk that these things present. So she is in her crib in just a sleep sack. No swaddle, since she rolls over. We have white noise and the FP seahorse (which she really doesn't seem to pay any attention to).

Sometimes she is up every hour for 3-4 hours straight needing to be soothed before going back down. Sometimes she sleeps a solid 4-5 hour stretch without making a peep. But she's getting there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageSweetangel20032:

imageSparty On:

Would you mind posting some info from your book? I have tried making the transition to the crib several times and it never goes that well. I usually end up giving up at around 4am and putting him back in the swing so we can all get some sleep.

The "Troublesome Tots" website also has a section on this. I think it's under the heading "Sleeping Through The Night." 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageSweetangel20032:

imageSparty On:

It says, "If you use a swing for your infant's sleep, once she's sleeping well (usually by four to six months), simply reduce the swing's motion over a week or two - from fast to slow.  Later on, you can try to wean the swaddling."

I know every baby is different, and my DS was never dependent on the swing, but this book has been super valuable to us.  I highly recommend it. 

~The Bumpie formerly known as SpartyMom2B~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"