Food Allergy

Corn allergy/Insurance coverage

Anyone experience corn allergy in a 3 month old?  Will they test for it?  My pedi has kind of brushed us off because he is gaining weight but symptoms tell me it is probably corn allergy since the only formula that does not make him projectile vomit, severely constipated, or cry constantly is the Alimentum reday to feed that does not have corn or corn products.  Doe this sound like an allergy to you?  When can allergists test him age wise?  I might go around the pedi and go this route. 

Also if you have alimentum covered by insurance, who is your carrier and what did you need to get them to cover it?

Re: Corn allergy/Insurance coverage

• Allergy testing under 1 is not really accurate. Usually, the suspected food is eliminated and if the baby gets better then that food is ignored until near 1 year. Is your child on medicine for reflux? The projectile vomit sounds like it. 

It could also be dairy related. Both Alimentum and Nutramigen have trace amounts of the dairy protein found in them.  

My son is on Nutramigen and it is not covered. Many companies do not cover it as it is sold over the counter. Some cover the rx formulas such as elacare but mine, for example, does not.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know allergy testing under 1 is not accurate but maybe can help show a real sensitivity to it.  The only formula he does not react to is the ready to feed and it is the only one without corn ingredients in it.  He is on reflux meds that have decreased the projectile vomiting but he is still refluxing on occasion. 

Nutramigen was a trainwreck just as much as the powder form of alimentum :( 

I was hoping to get it covered as even the prescription formulas contain corn.  I was mostly wondering if anyone else has a kiddo with corn sensitivity or allergy and what their symptoms were.

• Loading the player...
  • Have you tried the boards at kidswithfoodallergies.org?

They're really helpful!

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • imageturtlerun:

I know allergy testing under 1 is not accurate but maybe can help show a real sensitivity to it.  The only formula he does not react to is the ready to feed and it is the only one without corn ingredients in it.  He is on reflux meds that have decreased the projectile vomiting but he is still refluxing on occasion. 

Nutramigen was a trainwreck just as much as the powder form of alimentum :( 

I was hoping to get it covered as even the prescription formulas contain corn.  I was mostly wondering if anyone else has a kiddo with corn sensitivity or allergy and what their symptoms were.

My DS was on the ready to feed Nutramigen and we tried the alimentum and we did get that one covered also from the insurance out GI got it because of medical needs between reflux , MSPI I don't know about a corn allergy. It was a bunch a leg work put we did get it covered as a medical need So it can be done but it was a lot of work
  • We have elecare covered but it was a 6 month fight!! Call the maker of the formula and ask them. Sometimes they have more info. Also check your state laws. There are new laws out there (as of 2012) that make insurance companies cover foods that are med necessary. We live in fl for example. However if your ins is through a company based in another state they follow the rules of that state. For ex my hubby works for a company that is based in Cali. We live in fl. Our ins provider follows Cali rules. It's weird. Usually you will have to order through an IN NETWORK medical supply co. You can get the numbers from your ins comp. when you call your ins place ask to speak to a supervisor. Don't take no for an answer. They are avail and can help you. Trust me. Also get the employee on umber and name of everyone you talk to.  You will prob have to get a prescription from your dr too. We have Aetna ppo. Like I said it was a fight. Just be prepared to deal with some very stupid people that have no clue what they are talking about! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"