Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Help with 10 Month Old Sleep

I've never been very scheduled with my son, who just turned 10 months old. I just let him sleep when he's tired, and feed him when he wants fed. Which I think is why he has so much trouble being a consistent sleeper. Some nights he will sleep all the way through the night, and other nights he is up 2-3 times. Some nights his bedtime is 8pm and some nights he will not sleep til after 11. He will not go back to sleep without a small bottle, and he will NOT cry it out (I've tried several times and he just gets worse and worse screaming). He doesn't wake at night because he's hungry, he's just used to the bottle. I can give him just a little bit and he's fast asleep again. Another problem is, he still wants to nap during the day every 2-3 hours. Do you think that the constant napping is what makes his night-time sleep so inconsistent? If so, how can I keep him from napping so darn much? Does anyone have an example of their daily schedule that you would like to share? Sorry for so many questions, if you need to know more, please ask. :) 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Help with 10 Month Old Sleep

• Hi there! I have a 9 1/2 month old, but hopefully I can help a little because I am not super schedule-y either. :)

DD wakes up anywhere from 6:30 to 8:30 am. I have no idea why she wakes up earlier or later. 

She then goes down for a nap between 10 - 11. She starts showing her signs of being tired - pulling her ear, rubbing her eyes, etc. 

She usually wakes up anywhere from 45 min - 2 hours later (growth spurts longer sleep.) 

She goes down again between 3 - 4. Again she wakes up 45min - 2 hours later.

She goes down for the night between 8:30 - 9:30. 

I have notices when she does the BIG naps, she sleeps much, much better overnight. With her, sleep begets sleep.

Good luck!

• Our routine isn't cast in stone and everything can vary by up to an hour but essentially LO:

Wakes at 6.30am for the day.

By 8.30am is ready for a nap. generally asleep by 9am.

Sleeps any where from 45mins to 1 1/2 hrs. Although longer stretches are becoming her norm.

So wakes around 10.30am.

Ready for a nap at 1.30pm.

Sleeps anywhee from 45mins to 2hrs. Again longer stretches are becoming her norm.

Wakes around 3pm.

Ready for bed generally 4 hrs after she woke from her nap.

Sp basically she takes two naps. The first 2 hrs after she first wakes. the second 3 hrs after she wakes, and then goes down for the night 4 hrs after she wakes from her second nap.  In other words she's awake for 3 stretches: 2hrs, 3hrs then 4hrs.

the only constants are that she takes two naps, and that she wakes around 1030pm to nurse. I'm convinced this is habit rather than needing it, but haven't bothered tackling it yet.

LOs can wake because of teeth, over-stimulation during the day, developmental milestones, illness, habit.

With DD1 I did the Jay Gordon method to eliminate middle of the night feeding, which might suit you. I'm not into CIO, but am pretty sure DD2 would only wail if I did try it, because that's her temperament.

How often does your Lo nap during the day? how long are his naps generally? When you say he might not sleep until 11pm, how long would he have been awake before that sleep? 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • imageBellaOso:
    Hi there! I have a 9 1/2 month old, but hopefully I can help a little because I am not super scheduley either. : DD wakes up anywhere from 6:30 to 8:30 am. I have no idea why she wakes up earlier or later.nbsp;She then goes down for a nap between 10 11. She starts showing her signs of being tired pulling her ear, rubbing her eyes, etc.nbsp;She usually wakes up anywhere from 45 min 2 hours later growth spurts longer sleep.nbsp;She goes down again between 3 4. Again she wakes up 45min 2 hours later. She goes down for the night between 8:30 9:30.nbsp;I have notices when she does the BIG naps, she sleeps much, much better overnight. With her, sleep begets sleep. Good luck!

This my DS's schedule too!
  • https://sweetdreamspdx.com/

Hi! I am a fellow mom and baby sleep consultant. I helped my baby learn to sleep through the night and fall asleep on his own at 10 months old!

If you feel you need extra support, please don't hesitate to contact me!

A good schedule for a 10 month old is:

6:30am: Wake up

9:30 or 10am start nap

1:30 or 2 start nap

6:30 bedtime routine

7pm bedtime 

I am rooting for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"