2nd Trimester
Options

Ultrasound gender mistake

Anyone been told and/or shown at 18/19 week ultrasound they were definitely having a boy and saw at a later ultrasound or at the time of birth the baby was actually a girl ? If so, what was the protusion showing on the scan? 

Re: Ultrasound gender mistake

• Options

I have not - mine were definitely boys. I think it's VERY uncommon to have a mistake after 16 weeks. I've heard of a few rare u/s mistaking the umbilical cord for the penis, but I think that would be the fault of an inexperienced tech.

At 13 week ultrasounds, boys and girls are practically identical (it takes a very experienced tech and the perfect angle to differentiate between the penis and the developing clitoris). 

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Options
    It could be anything - like the umbilical cord.  How did you get two ultrasounds?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am going to get a second elective 3D ultrasound done at 30 weeks (not until the end of March) to make sure it's definitely a boy.  My first son's ultrasounds look nothing like this one and I want to make sure because I am not 100% convinced and I have read posts where this happens to people.  This pregnancy has been total opposite of my first so it makes me wonder.
  • Options

imageash82brook:
    I am going to get a second elective 3D ultrasound done at 30 weeks (not until the end of March) to make sure it's definitely a boy.  My first son's ultrasounds look nothing like this one and I want to make sure because I am not 100% convinced and I have read posts where this happens to people.  This pregnancy has been total opposite of my first so it makes me wonder.

Could you just ask your ob or another tech to look at the ultrasounds and see what he/she thinks? I would never spend extra money on an elective ultrasound because I suspect a boy may actually be a girl. But that's because I'm not experienced at reading ultrasounds and would just ask for a second experienced opinion (for free).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've heard of this happening from people online but don't know anyone IRL it happened to. Boys are usually pretty easy to distinguish on an u/s between 18-22 weeks---unless the legs are not spread far apart enough. I worry about this too. I was going to do a 3D anyway, but I also want to re-confirm the sex of the baby!
  • Options
    My BFF had the opposite. At her a/s they told her she was having a girl. At 30w she had an additional u/s to monitor her placenta previa and discovered she was having a boy. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When my sister was pregnant with her first, she was told at her a/s that she was having a girl, but when the baby was born, she was a he! Totally surprised my sister and her boyfriend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There was a couple back home that brought their baby boy home to a pink nursery. The u/s said girl at 20 weeks and there was no medical reason to double check until the birth.
    "What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Options
    Boys are harder to confuse than girls. I was told with my son he was a boy at 14 weeks, and confirmed at 20 weeks. This time, I was told a girl at 16 weeks, and confirmed at 21 weeks, she is still a girl. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My friend's parents were told that her youngest sister was a boy on their u/s.  They were really surprised when she came out a she.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageeco+ri:
    Boys are harder to confuse than girls.

this... usually if the sex is wrong, it's a boy that was mistaken for a girl.... rarely, although it has happened, a girl is mistaken for a boy.... 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"