October 2011 Moms

How to be randomly kind w/o being creepy

I'm working on being a better citizen of the world this year (corny, I know) and I made a goal to commit random acts of kindness. Friends, this is easier said than done.

So far I've had success buying a coffee for the homeless man outside of Starbucks. If he has a cup, he's a customer and can come in to warm up and get a free refill. That's all I've got, though.

Living in a big city, it is hard to do something for my fellow man without making him think I have a motive. I thought about picking up coffee or lunch for the stranger in line behind me, but there's just no non-creepy way to do that. On top of that, I don't think kindness should always be monetary. Unfortunately, with my schedule, full on volunteering isn't an option, right now.

I realize this is a personal goal and my actions should come from the heart but I need some suggestions. I've been so lucky in life and I want to spread the happiness around. How could a stranger put a smile on your face without skeeving you out?

Re: How to be randomly kind w/o being creepy

• I find that random compliments are always smile getters.  Comment on a great coat, or pair of shoes, or bag, hair style, etc.  I would love it if someone randomly said something nice to me and I don't think it's creepy at all.
  • Put money in parking meters
    Pay off a layaway
    Rantsfrommommyland.com did a thing before Christmas called give it up and they put up a list of things to do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  •  - Donating towels/blankets (either cheap new ones or gently used) to an animal shelter.

- Buying some extra canned goods (can be very cheap) and donating them to a local food bank.

-Get a couple of cheap blankets from Walmart & give them to the homeless people you normally see.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • I agree a compliment is nice, especially in a city.  Where I come from, people compliment each other randomly.  This whole midwestern kindess thing and all... I have also donated some of the toys Nora didn't need to a local group and have given other items to a small organization.  Any way you can assist an elderly individual, they are always appreciative. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• I think buying the homeless man coffee is an excellent idea. I also like a lot of the suggestions listed. This is making me want to do more kind things!

My inlaws church did a benefit for the homeless a few months back and had some good conversations with some of the homeless individuals attending. They said one of the things they need most is socks. They go with holey socks or none at all a lot of times :( 

Since you don't have a lot of time to volunteer monetary giving really is a good option. Do you go through the drive through anywhere. You could always pay for the person behind you in line and they'd never know who you are. 

I used to work in a floral department and sometimes people would send flowers to friends anonymously. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Donating to the elderly is a nice idea. I feel like some people get forgotten in nursing homes. We use to do a giving tree for a nursing home and they would ask for stuff like decks of cards, socks, and blankets. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Most animal shelters have wish lists.
    Shovel the neighbors driveway.
    Walk some friends' or neighbors dog.
    Hold doors, give a hand carrying groceries, return a shopping cart.
    Buy a candy bar and give it to the lady at the cash.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My friend did a bunch of things for the whole month of November in honor of her 41st birthday this year. I know she baked a lot - cookies, cakes, etc. - and brought them to her Dr. office, dentist office, local fire and police stations. She would go through drive throughs and ask to pay for the person behind her. Can't remember what else.
  • Baking for peoe. And shelters often need toiletries. Like the women's or homeless shelters.
  • Oh, and if someone lets me in front of them or trades places with me in line at the grocery, I am soooo happy.
  • imageginamcp:
    I find that random compliments are always smile getters. nbsp;Comment on a great coat, or pair of shoes, or bag, hair style, etc. nbsp;I would love it if someone randomly said something nice to me and I don't think it's creepy at all.

I agree about the complements, but I try to make an effort to complement a person rather than his or her stuff. For instance, instead of saying I like your shoes you could say that the person has very good tastes or that they must have a very good sense for fashion.
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Maybe donate LO's old clothes to a homeless or battered women's shelter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Re: Compliments.  Personally, I would be creeped out if someone just told me I had great style (regardless if they were male/female, I would think they were hitting on me) and would rather someone say  "I love your shoes! Do you mind telling me where you got them?"

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • imageMrs. Mo:
    Re: Compliments.  Personally, I would be creeped out if someone just told me I had great style (regardless if they were male/female, I would think they were hitting on me) and would rather someone say  "I love your shoes! Do you mind telling me where you got them?"

HaHa, maybe Missy's right and its's a Midwestern thing. I get random compliments and they don't creep me out unless the person is creepy.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageMrs. Mo:
    Re: Compliments.nbsp; Personally, I would be creeped out if someone just told me I had great style regardless if they were male/female, I would think they were hitting on me and would rather someone say nbsp;"I love your shoes!nbsp;Do you mind telling me where you got them?"

I guess I can see what you're saying, but I think it's possible to deliver a more personal compliment without coming across as a weirdo. Maybe it's just a personal hang up, but a complement about my shoes or whatever just using shoes as an example means nothing to me. I didn't design them or make them I just grabbed them if the sales rack someplace.

ETA : dang mobile site. Where is my punctuation?
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"