Infertility

How long after chemical/ectopic did you have to wait for next FET?

I had what my doctor is calling an ectopic pregnancy (although he never really saw it in the tube) back in November, and it has taken until now for my hcg to finally get down (even though it never got above 200). Last week it was at 5, so I'm hoping this week it will finally be at zero (it has now been like 8 weeks).  My nurse said that once my hcg is zero, we either have to wait 4-6 weeks to see if I get my period on my own, or I can go on the pill for a month, before we start my next frozen embryo transfer.

Have you guys had to wait this long?  I just can't believe how long everything is taking, and then to know that I just have to wait around another 4-6 weeks seems cruel at this point! I asked if I could just take Provera to start my cycle once my hcg is zero and she said no. With the way my cycles are, I know I won't get my period on my own any faster than if I took BCP.

Should I ask the doctor what he thinks?  Sometimes I feel like my nurse just gives me the "standard" answer and doesn't even check with him first, but I don't get to see him until I get my period. I do have his email address, but I don't want to be a nag or go "over her head" if you know what I mean.

Me: 35, DH: 34, Started TTC #1 since November '11
Several Clomid/Femara rounds, then fresh IVF September '12
Fresh IVF #1: chemical pregnancy, FET #1: ectopic, methotrexate
FET #2 resulted in our amazing baby boy Levi, born on 11/3/13 at 8 lbs, 5 oz. He is our everything!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image   image

Re: How long after chemical/ectopic did you have to wait for next FET?

• I had a confirmed ectopic (via ultrasound) and my beta levels got up 3300. It took one and a half weeks after my HCG finally got back to 0 for AF to arrive. Unfortunately, because I had to have a methotrexate shot, they made me sit out three cycles before trying again. Without the shot, they said that I'd have to wait only one full cycle I believe. I'm sorry you're going through this and wish you the best with your next cycle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I dont see why you cant take provera. I would ask him directly. There is no need in waiting if you dont have to. As far as going over his head, I did it last week. I wanted a answer from him not his nurses. We pay them well and if every now and again they have to personally handle a phone call it wont kill them. Mine was very kind and understanding as to why I needed to hear it from him and Im sure yours will be the same way. Good luck to you and Im sorry about the c/p.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a blighted ovum and a D&E at 8w, so I was further along than you, but my RE wants me to wait two cycles.  So first I have to wait for my first period after the D&E, and then I have to wait for my second period before we can start the FET cycle.  I was told to expect a period in 4-6 weeks after the D&E and was really, really hoping to be closer to the 4-week mark, but it'll be 6 weeks on Thursday and I don't have so much as a PMS symptom.  I am meeting with my RE on Thursday to go over the FET protocol, so I'm going to ask her about provera.  This wait feels like forever, so I can totally understand where you're coming from.

I would go ahead and call your doctor.  I've received different answers from my RE and her nurse before, so it may be worthwhile.  It can't hurt.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I hope your next FET does the trick!

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the replies. I finally decided to email the doctor directly, and he wrote back almost immediately and told me to come in for a sonogram today to check the lining.  He said that if it's thin and my hcg is zero, we can go ahead and start the process right away, no need to wait a whole cycle.  I hate that the nurse has a "standard protocol" that she automatically tells people. and am so happy I emailed the doctor!  Please help me hope for a thin lining, zero hcg, and no cysts so we can get started on FET #2!

Me: 35, DH: 34, Started TTC #1 since November '11
    Several Clomid/Femara rounds, then fresh IVF September '12
    Fresh IVF #1: chemical pregnancy, FET #1: ectopic, methotrexate
    FET #2 resulted in our amazing baby boy Levi, born on 11/3/13 at 8 lbs, 5 oz. He is our everything!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"