December 2013 Moms
Options

Dumbledore gay

I'm sure you already know that Dumbledore was confirmed as gay. Did that cross your mind at all while reading the books? What do you think about it? Was there a point to JK Rowling announcing that?

Re: Dumbledore gay

• Options
    I found this article which kind of explains it better. I think it's great that she included a gay character, even of it wasn't made obvious.

• Options
    I remember thinking it when I was older and reading the books. I didn't think of it before I was in college. Although the area of the country I lived in made me grow up in a bubble and I didn't really understand sexuality until I was in college.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Did you mean to include the article?
  • Options
    imagequidditchcapn1120:
    Did you mean to include the article?
    LOL!! Yes, oops! I have to go find it again.

• Options
    imageIrishEyes0530:

Oh ok. Now I remember that article.
  • Options
    I wish she'd made it a bit more obvious. I do love that she made such a prominent character gay, however.

image image
  • Options
    I had no idea! Not that it matters or anything. I guess it just wasn't ever relevant to the story for it to be obvious enough for me to notice.
  • Options
    I think she just made it up after to get more attention.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I knew he was gay before I read Deathly Hollows, but when I read the letter for Grindelwald, I remember thinking that was his "outing". I'm not sure if it would had been obvious had I not known it in advanced.
    There are no blurred lines, only jail time

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

my blog: Inspirationseeker.blogspot.com
  • Options

imageSmockMyJonJon:

I don't think so. As I said the letter to Grindelwald kind of has a ring of teenage crush to me.

• Options

imageali_bl-nov05:
    I knew he was gay before I read Deathly Hollows, but when I read the letter for Grindelwald, I remember thinking that was his "outing". I'm not sure if it would had been obvious had I not known it in advanced.

I just re-read the letter and I still don't get the "gay" vibe from it. Even knowing, and searching for something in it, it doesn't imply to me that he is gay. I mean, anyone can be grateful for making a friend, that's all I got out of it.

• Options
    I never thought it while reading the books.  After she had said that, I could see it being true.  But it kind of seemed just not so pertinent.  I also thought there was just the fascination with power/dark magic when he was friends with Grindelwald.  I think that took it deep enough.  Even when re-reading it just doesn't stick in my mind I guess.
  • Options
    imageLexiLupin:
    imageali_bl-nov05:

imageSmockMyJonJon:

I don't think so. As I said the letter to Grindelwald kind of has a ring of teenage crush to me.

I don't think she made it up afterwards (like JKR really was worried about attention? Really?) but I think that, in order to fully understand and appreciate the character, it could have been more obvious. Realizing just how his sister's death crushed him and his regret in focusing all his attention on Grindelwald over his family... and then understanding what it must have taken for him to confront Grindelwald all those years later.

It's powerful from the perspective of boyhood friend- but it shows a level of heart-wrenching loss if you look at it from the possibility that Grindelwald was his first (only?) love. And maybe gives an even better idea of his motivations in trying to protect Harry's innocence long after he acknowledged he should have told him the truth about everything surrounding Voldemort's obsession with him and the prophesy.

Totally this. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"