Potty Training

PT (poop issues) - advice needed please

We started putting DS in underwear for during the day starting last Friday.  He's 2.5 and has been peeing on the potty for months, 1 - 2 times each day so we decided to go ahead and switch to undies.  He's doing well with pee.  He goes to preschool all day (8 - 4) and hasn't had any pee accidents.  It's a combo of them bringing him to the potty when the whole group is going and him saying he needs to go, but poop is another story.  

He pooped on the potty the very first day we did the bare bottom but since then hasn't and keeps going in his undies.  He is pretty consistent with pooping 1 - 2 times a day and the accidents at school are occurring when he's outside playing.  He had an accident with me this morning at the playground too, even though I sat him on the potty for a while before we left.  He squats and does it so quickly it's hard to get to the bathroom.  It doesn't seem to bother him when he poops in his undies (and didn't with a diaper for that matter).  He can verbalize where the poop is supposed to go and I don't think he's afraid to sit on the potty and go.  He's just not doing it.

Should I just back off and go back to diapers even though he's having peeing success?  I'm getting mixed signals at preschool.  His main teacher says, no, keep going with the undies, but the teachers that do the aftercare when he wakes up from nap want to put him in a diaper since he typically has an accident at that time.

Not sure what to do!  Any advice? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PT (poop issues) - advice needed please

• I wish I had an answer. I am in the same boat!  My son is 3 and refuses to go poop anywhere except his pull-up. His teachers keep saying don't worry about it- that he will just do it on his own but we are so frustrated! Hang in there!
  • This post is exactly what I came here to write.  I just sent my son (3 in March) to daycare for the first time in undies today after 6 days of at home potty training.  Stays dry but poops in his undies or waits until we put a pull up on at bedtime or yesterday held it alltogether.  I'm nervous about what I'll find when I pick him up.  Im trying to remain positive that he will eventually put two and two together but in the meantime I'll be washing a lot of poopy pants!  I'm also hoping the teachers at daycare have magical potty training powers! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We went through something similar with DD1. We put her in underwear at 2.5 when she was fully pee trained on the potty. She was great about telling us when she had to pee but poop was another story. She refused to tell us when she had to poop and had no problem going in her underwear. She was also one of those babies who never minded having poop in their diaper, too.

We weren't sucessful in getting her to start pooping on the potty until 35 months. We opted to keep her in underwear for those 6 months or so in between. It was not pleasant to clean so many pairs of poopy underwear but we just didn't feel like putting her back in diapers or pullups would solve the issue either.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"