Third-Party Reproduction

Was it bittersweet..?

For those of you who are pregnant or have children from donor embryos/eggs/sperm, etc after quite a while of trying to get pregnant with 100% bio children, was it bittersweet?

We plan to do embryo adoption at some point, possibly later this year and I'm very happy to have the option, but sometimes I worry how it will feel if it works.  I have been excited to see what DH and I could create since we got married and even though I absolutely adore DD (who is adopted), sometimes I still wonder what a little me or a little DH would look like..be like, etc.  To finally accomplish something that has been so difficult--pregnancy--but have it not be bio, I just wonder if it will be painful at all.  I am hoping that I'll just be so excited...feel so blessed to be able to carry a child, have the miracle of pregnancy, etc..but I just don't know.

Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Was it bittersweet..?

• I am not pregnant but I can relate to your post. This is one of the (several) things that I have anxiety about. We are starting dIUI soon and I just don't know how DH is going to feel if we do get pregnant. He himself says he can't predict how he will feel but he wants a baby and has accepted that this is our best option at this point. I am just so scared about feeling alone in it, that he will be somewhat detached knowing that the baby isn't his. I am reading Helping the Stork and that is giving me some clarity. One of the other recent posts on here listed books people are reading regarding embryo adoption so maybe look into those as well? GL to you..we are all in similar boats so I look forward to hearing others' experiences as well!
    TTC since June 2011
    DX: DH (30) severe MFI, severely low count & low motility
    Me (32): all clear
    Appt with Urologist 5/21/12: exam, ultrasound, bloodwork all normal.
    Testicular Biopsy with TESE on 6/8/12. good sperm found! (left side only) froze sperm, failed thaw test :(
    Orientation for IVF/ICSI on 6/13/12. Waiting for the green light following biopsy results...results show adequate sperm production both sides.
    2nd SA 6/18/12: sample is "adequate for ICSI"
    Plan: IVF/ICSI July 2012!
    ER: 7/26/12. 15 eggs retrieved, all mature.
    TESE/TESA/aspiration from epididymis, no motile sperm found :(
    froze all eggs, the saga of praying for good sperm continues.
    8/3/12: 2nd opinion from MFI uro on biopsy slides. Suspects "partial late maturation arrest."
    Plan: more SAs, third biopsy/TESE with frozen back-up either from DH or DS.
    SA 8/17/12: Zero sperm
    SA 8/23/12: Zero sperm
    9/26/12: SPERM FOUND! 15 eggs thawed, 12 survived and were ICSI'd, only 3 fertilized normally. Refrozen as embies and will thaw in Nov. Please survive and grow!
    All 3 survived the thaw on 11/15/12!
    FET 11/17/12: transferred 2, one 4B, one 4C. Beta 11/30:BFFN
    moving on to DS
    DIUI#1 2/18/13,50mg Clomid cd 3-7, Ovidrel trigger, Beta 3/4/13: BFN.
    DIUI#2 3/19/13, 50 mg Clomid cd 3-7, Ovidrel trigger, Beta #1 (14dpiui) 4/2/13: BFP!!!! 150. Beta #2 4/4/13: 420 Beta #3 4/8/13: 2691. Beta #4 4/15/13: 15,086
    1st u/s 4/8/13 shows one gestational sac
    2nd u/s 4/15/13 shows yolk sac, fetal pole and early heartbeat
    3rd u/s 4/25/13: measuring right on track. Heart rate 148 bpm
    A/S 7/22/13: IT'S A BOY!!
    PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome
    [IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2qmon5u.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/laurakat24/turkeybaster-1.jpg"[/IMG]Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagePetraStonegirl:
    After losing so many of our own, DH and I find it 99.9% sweet. We are here, and we are finally going to have a baby together. The fact that 50% of the genetic material came from someone who looked like me, but isn't me, doesn't weight heavily on our minds. The only caveat is fear of the unknown. That 0.1% looks down the road and worries that my future teenaged girl with throw the fact that she's not genetically related to me in my face during an argument. I do my best to keep that 0.1% tied and gagged in the darkest part of my mind.

This is one of the biggest worries that run through my head over and over and over again...thank you for typing it out.  I guess I'll need to find a place to tuck it away, too.

TTC since 10/2010
    IUIs # 1-5 = BFFN
    IVF # 1(July 2012) = BFN
    IVF # 2 (November 2012) = BFP (MIssed MC D&C @ 8w3d on 1/10/13)
    IVF # 3 (June 2013) = BFN 
    IVF # 4 (September 2013) = BFP Fraternal twin boys! (Loss at 21w6d due to IC on 1/26/14...devastated.)
    3/21/14--TAC (transabdominal cerclage) w/Dr. Davis in NJ
    IVF # 5 (May 2014) = BFN
    FET (August 2014) = BFN

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your thoughts ladies.  I guess for me it's mostly, the past couple of years have revolved around getting pregnant and that moment when I can finally look at a pregnancy test and see a plus sign...and know, "we finally did it!"  But then part of me will have to realize, "except that we didn't totally do it..on our own.." and we'll have to explain it to every family member and friend as our second child will also know their adoption story so it will not be a secret.  I just cringe at the thought of how many "told you so, we knew once you adopted you'd get pregnant!" as I've already been told that many times and I'm not even pregnant yet.
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My babies are not here yet, but I can speak of it in terms of being pregnant. Like pp said 99.9% of it is sweet! I would not be lying if I said I have not had fleeting moments of oh, I used DE. DH and I will talk about how we wonder if they will get this or that from his looks, but we can't say the same about me. That being said, I am so completely in love with my boys and have not even met them yet. I love that I have gone through the trials and tribulations of pregnancy, no matter how hard it has gotten. I truely feel blessed to be having my boys. They are 100% mine and my flesh and blood is what has grown them into the babies they are. I am convinced they already know that I am their mom too. They love my hands on my belly, but with DH, and other people, they go into hiding. The bond is already there!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"