Dads & Dads-to-be

Breastmilk Mixup at Daycare.

So my wife just called me and told me our boy's teacher called her and informed her that she gave Jacob the wrong bottle, which was breastmilk from another newborns mom.  My wife called into our doctor, and we are waiting for her to call back.

I feel horrible for his teacher.  She is wonderful, and she has been nothing but perfect with our son.  We are actually very glad that they called to let us know.  The mother is vegan, so we are fairly confident that this will be okay.  This is a pretty high end facility, so it is not like these are questionable parents with bad habits.

But we are a bit nervous.  Mistakes happen, but when it is your kid......

Re: Breastmilk Mixup at Daycare.

• You are probably handling this better than I would.  I think I'd be a little pissed at them for not being through and careful and making such a mistake, especially since I am PAYING them to ensure the safety and well being of my child.
  • imageColtsdad:
    You are probably handling this better than I would.  I think I'd be a little pissed at them for not being through and careful and making such a mistake, especially since I am PAYING them to ensure the safety and well being of my child.

I would probably be pissed if there were other instances of teachers dropping the ball.  It has been a weird month at his daycare with a lot of sick babies, parents and staff there.

This teacher has been great with Jacob, and for me, that trumps everything else.

• Loading the player...
  • Odds are everything is just peachy. There was a time in the past when passing around babies to BF them was viewed as NBD. Even if the mother in question was drunk as a skunk when she pumped, one bottle isn't going to destroy your child's development.

Still, certainly annoying!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • You guys are dealing with this very professionally, I don't think we would lose it, but I know my wife would be frustrated.

It's pretty awesome that they called, it says a lot of the facility.

But, I heard women can sell their breast milk on certain sites and even on Craigslist...not that this is a great thing, but I take it as it's okay for babies to have breastmilk, even if it's not from their mother.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would be very upset about that! They really need to be more careful. However, if I was you I wouldn't be too concerned about the health of your LO. As long as the other Mom is healthy and not on any medications then I'm sure your LO is perfectly fine. I give my LO donated breast milk. It weirded me out at first, but I'm so thankful for it now. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The boy is fine.  The other mother does not have any illness that we would need to worry about. 

Like I said, this is a great facility with a great staff.  The teacher that did this felt absolutely horrible about it, and our son is given a ton of love from everyone there everyday.

This was just a mistake that was made by a very good person.  It will not be the first time that mistakes will be made in regards to the things our son experiences in his life. I am just happy that they called right away and acknowledged their mistake. Could have been real easy for them to hide it from us.

• imageDavidStamps:

But, I heard women can sell their breast milk on certain sites and even on Craigslist...not that this is a great thing, but I take it as it's okay for babies to have breastmilk, even if it's not from their mother.

Legally in the US you cannot sell breast milk. Any sales of Breast milk are gray market at best, although I believe there are some services that operate on "gifts" and "donations".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • I previously worked in daycare management, at one point our liscensing people came in and told us that there were several instances of this being reported to them at local daycares. At that point we were required to keep all breastmilk bottles in individual baskets in the fridge. Each basket had to have a child's name and photo on the front. This might help them out in the future.

• imageCNettles86:

I previously worked in daycare management, at one point our liscensing people came in and told us that there were several instances of this being reported to them at local daycares. At that point we were required to keep all breastmilk bottles in individual baskets in the fridge. Each basket had to have a child's name and photo on the front. This might help them out in the future.

That already happens for each kid in each class. This happened on the warm-up of the bottle. They need to start warming up one bottle at a time, instead of multiple ones.

• Holy moley. What kind of school takes kids still nursing? If it's preschool or kindergarten I would recommend solid foods. That could prevent this from reoccuring.
  • imagedoodledaddy:
    Holy moley. What kind of school takes kids still nursing? If it's preschool or kindergarten I would recommend solid foods. That could prevent this from reoccuring.

Dude....daycare IS school.  The boy is 5 months old.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"