Maryland Babies

Moms of boys...potty training ?

Did you potty train your boys to pee sitting down first, or just stand up from the start? DH and DCP are adamant about having him stand up from the get-go, and that makes sense to me, but it seems like everything I read has boys sitting first. We're a ways away from really starting this, but I was just curious.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This

Re: Moms of boys...potty training ?

• We're starting with sitting - just seems more natural a starting point for us. Not sure why someone would be adamant either way though. If C takes to one more than the other, I'd just go with that. 
    lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • DS really got a kick out of peeing standing up, so he did it that way from the beginning.  This may be TMI, but he loves to pee outdoors :)

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• Loading the player...
  • We thought we should try sitting down first but he wanted nothing to do with that. He wanted to do it standing up from the very beginning. He peed on the potty for the first time not too long after his second birthday and really caught on pretty quick.

Now going #2 on the potty, that was a completely different story. He has just now, at 3.5, gotten to the point where he will calmly go and do it without a bunch of drama and asking me to put a diaper on him.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We went with sitting down, but I would just go with whatever works best.  It seems like there is more skill involved with standing up though and more messes to clean up.  J also would not use a training potty and HAS to use the big one and I don't think he would be able to go standing up, he isn't tall enough yet.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have also started with sitting.  Eventually, once we get the hang of it, we will slowly transition to standing. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Honestly I felt like it was messier when he sat down to go because he would never um, point things down, and it would kind of just go wherever. lol.

He also never wanted anything to do with the little training potty I got him, only the potty ring on the big potty. Every kid is so different.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all the advice! I guess we will just go with whatever DS seems to prefer at first. Like I said, we're a ways off, but we got a little potty just to start with. We don't expect him to use it yet really.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • We did sitting down with him to make it easier for him to get going #2 as well. Our seat attachment has a pee catcher on it. We did use a little potty at first for him which was a FP duck potty. We still use it for Cecilia because she's so small that she almost always falls in :) 

I have some friends that did their boys sitting down facing the back of the toilet to teach them that's the way they go when they stand up and so they wouldn't pee all over the floor.

B knows to point down when he goes #2 now. He now stands and goes on the big potty very well. It was just easier for him at school like that.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Aiden will be five next month and still sits to pee!!  Definitely do it sitting down.  Even then you'll find he'll forget to point it down and spray all over.

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • We started with sitting with our son. We also didnt hide how daddy peed either. If he seen how daddy peed, then we thought that eventually he would pick up on wanting to stand up peeing. He is 3 now and stands up every time to pee and has for a while. He started doing that all on his own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"