Military Families

Offutt afb

We just recently moved to Omaha. My husband's office consist only of older civilians. We don't live on base. I want to meet other moms with children around my daughter's age. There's a meetup page, but it seems to be pretty dead. I know almost nobody here, and after nearly two months, I'm going a little stir crazy.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Offutt afb

• I'm not out there but if you go to family advocacy on base they should have a moms meet up group, they can help set up play dates and should have other stuff as well.

Hope this helps.  

• Thanks, I will do that.

My husband, unfortunately, isn't very helpful. He's been in for 17 years, however we've only been together for the last four, in which he actually was at a small army base. He doesn't really like to hang out with other military members. He would never have entertained the idea of living on base, which is fine because we bought a nice home. Essentially, he stays away from all military functions, unless mandated. This has always been fine and dandy, except now we have a child, know nobody because we don't have a sitter, and have no family/friends near us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Most bases have story time at the library and some play groups. Call the library to ask about story time and the A&FRC about play groups. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We are at Offutt and we don't live on base either.  A good place to go is the Bellevue Learning Centers' Early Childhood Center.  It's free for families in the Bellevue School District and military families anywhere in the Omaha Metro.  It's that big building just down Ft. Crook from base that is right off of Highway 370.  A lot of military moms go there just to socialize with other moms while their children play. They even have things for little babies.  My daughter is only 6 months and I take her there some mornings just so I can get some "adult conversation" into my day.  

Also, Offutt is a great base for spouses and families.  Both the officers' spouses' club and the enlisted spouses' clubs are extremely active.  I highly suggest joining whichever one applies to you.  You'll meet a lot spouses that way and some of them you'll run into in places such as the Learning Center's ECC.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area or the base.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • imageTomHope2011:

We are at Offutt and we don't live on base either.  A good place to go is the Bellevue Learning Centers' Early Childhood Center.  It's free for families in the Bellevue School District and military families anywhere in the Omaha Metro.  It's that big building just down Ft. Crook from base that is right off of Highway 370.  A lot of military moms go there just to socialize with other moms while their children play. They even have things for little babies.  My daughter is only 6 months and I take her there some mornings just so I can get some "adult conversation" into my day.  

Also, Offutt is a great base for spouses and families.  Both the officers' spouses' club and the enlisted spouses' clubs are extremely active.  I highly suggest joining whichever one applies to you.  You'll meet a lot spouses that way and some of them you'll run into in places such as the Learning Center's ECC.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely look into it. I believe there is also an exercise class, similiar to stroller strides, that meets during the week at the Field House. I may look into that too. Do you know if there are any facebook pages relevant? I saw that Offutt has one, but I could not find one more "mom" related.

• I can't help with your original question, but as far as not having a sitter goes...

Military families get free membership to sittercity.com. We found a fabulous sitter on there with great reviews and a background check.

You can sign up here: https://www.sittercity.com/register_corp_1.html?corp=dod&client=67

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSamiantha101:
    imageTomHope2011:

We are at Offutt and we don't live on base either.  A good place to go is the Bellevue Learning Centers' Early Childhood Center.  It's free for families in the Bellevue School District and military families anywhere in the Omaha Metro.  It's that big building just down Ft. Crook from base that is right off of Highway 370.  A lot of military moms go there just to socialize with other moms while their children play. They even have things for little babies.  My daughter is only 6 months and I take her there some mornings just so I can get some "adult conversation" into my day.  

Thanks for the information. I will definitely look into it. I believe there is also an exercise class, similiar to stroller strides, that meets during the week at the Field House. I may look into that too. Do you know if there are any facebook pages relevant? I saw that Offutt has one, but I could not find one more "mom" related.

I don't know about a "mom" related Offutt specific FB page, however here is one for Bellevue area moms and considering the base makes up a major portion of the town of Bellevue, a lot of moms belonging to it are military moms.  

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellevue-Moms/127478877408106?fref=ts

Also, another good FB page to like (even though it's not necessarily mom related) is one called Military Discounts Offutt & Omaha Metro Area.  It's just a good page to find which businesses in the area offer military discounts and if you happen to discover one that's not already on it you are able to post it on there.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellevue-Moms/127478877408106?fref=ts

There is an Officers' Spouses' Club FB page as well, I'm not sure about the enlisted spouses' club though.  I would think they would. They seem pretty active.  I frequently see them have a fundraising table set up at the BX.  A lot of the individual squadrons also have their own spouses' FB pages. So you could search on FB for your husband's squadrons' spouses' page too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Thanks for the info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"