Blended Families

SKids and phones

My SD (11) got an IPhone for Christmas.  She has unlimited texting and internet.  I swear she is on this phone messaging with various people from the moment she wakes up (before she even actually gets out of bed) to the moment she lays down to go to bed at night.  It is driving me crazy.  I am really thinking about giving her set hours when she can be on her phone and the rest of the time it is on the kitchen table or something but I want to make sure I'm not being super psycho with this.  DH goes to work from lunchtime to bedtime so he's not here enough to really care.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: SKids and phones

• Your house your rules.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• I should add that I don't have a smart phone or 50 million 'friends' I feel the need to stay in contact with so I'm trying to make sure I'm being somewhat fair about this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagela79al:
    I should add that I don't have a smart phone or 50 million 'friends' I feel the need to stay in contact with so I'm trying to make sure I'm being somewhat fair about this. 

Your not saying that she can`t use it at all, only during certain times which I think is reasonable.

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• You're being fair.  The phone gets handed over at 8 pm (or whatever her bedtime is) every. single. night., and is given back the next day AFTER she is totally ready for school.

I LOVE this article and did, in fact, have DD sign something similar that I edited after she got her Iphone for Christmas.

https://news.yahoo.com/moms-18-point-iphone-rules-son-143831843--abc-news-parenting.html

• SS was the same way when we first gave him unlimited texting.  It has died down.

He does not keep the phone in his room when he goes to bed.

He cannot have it during meal times or doing homework.

He was on it constantly for a couple months, and now doesn't even text/call everyday.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I think what you are asking is totally reasonable, but are you doing it because it irritates you that she is on it, or is it interfearing with her homework and other activities?

My dd has an iphone, she is also 11, she uses it for music and she likes to go in instagram, but she gets it taken away if she get a sassy mouth with me, or doesn't keep her room clean and no way does she use it during dinner or homework time.

GL

• imagebebe11:

I think what you are asking is totally reasonable, but are you doing it because it irritates you that she is on it, or is it interfearing with her homework and other activities?

We only have her every other weekend right now so we don't have her for homework time (though she tells us she never has any anyhow) but I feel like the girls are soooo excited when she comes, they just want her to play with them for a little and she will, phone in one hand, until she becomes completely engrossed in the phone.  I'm not asking for all weekend but maybe mealtimes, church/youth group and maybe 2 hours or so of family time in the evenings. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"