Georgia Babies

car seats help?

so I am trying to register for car seats on my registry but I didn't realize there were so many to choose from  infants or convertibles. I am expecting twins so what car seat will be the best one to choose from for two little ones? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: car seats help?

• I would get convertible carseats. They are def the easiest at the beginning. I didn't use a convertible carseat until 9 months. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't recommend getting a convertible carseat to start off with. It is so much easier to use an infant seat since you can detach it from the base and put it a snap n go stroller. Additionally, it is unlikely that a newborn would actually fit in a convertible seat. Although they say they can hold a 5 lb infant, the strap height and the distance from the back of the seat to the belt are unsafe for newborns. There would be too much space and you infants would not be properly restrained.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I typed convertible but meant infant seat to start. The infant seat is the easiest bc you don't have to take them in and out of the carseat each time you go out somewhere. I didn't use the convertible until 9 months.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kegkeg member

I have twins and just used the basic Graco Snugride seats (I think they had a 22 lbs weight limit).  They were well rated in Baby Bargains when I was looking 4+ years ago and under $100 each.  I didn't go with a higher weight limit because the seats are heavier.  Another thing to remember is that babies tend to outgrow seats by length before they hit the weight limits.  I kept one DD in her seat until she was 1 and the other for a couple more months because she's smaller.  I also LOVED my double snap n go stroller and was unbelievably sad when I had to retire it (definitely check with your local parents of multiple group and you should be able to find a good deal on a used one).  

We went with Britax Boulevard convertible seats.  I had reasons I went with the Boulevard, but can't remember them now.  I really like the Britax seats because they are really easy to install.  We kept DDs rear facing until 2.5 (although hadn't hit rear-facing limits) and at 4, they still have quite a while before they will outgrow the seats.  

We also have a set of Cosco Scenera seats for our second vehicle and for travel.  They are only about $40 each and perfectly safe.  They are more difficult to install and not nearly as cushy as the Britax seats, but they are much lighter which is good if you're flying somewhere.   

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Infant seats for sure!  Convertible with a newborn is a nightmare- twins would be even worse.  Babies sleep in the carseat.  If you have an infant seat, you carry them inside- no worries.  If you have convertible, you have to wake them up.  NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY!

• Thank you ladies for the advice because I was really confused when registering. I will surely do the infant car seat first, and yes I dont want to wake a sleeping baby at all Big Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would go ahead and register for both. You'll need both eventually and if someone wants to go ahead and buy one of the convertible ones, rock on! One less thing to have to buy two of in a few months. Personally, I'm a Britax fan for convertibles. And what the others wrote about the weight limits on the infants is so true. We got the bigger Graco that goes up to 30 lbs and 30 inches. (or something like that). My 4 year old is only 36lbs, but he outgrew the height limit by 8 months. Go for the smaller/lighter car seats, especially since twins usually aren't huge babies to start with.

Congrats on your twins!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"