Military Families
Options

Natural delivery possible at Womack?

I'm having my third child at Womack on Fort Bragg. I like to have my babies as natural as possible; its just what works best for me. I'd love to have a midwife come to our home but we can't afford the out of pocket costs. My first child also spent time in the NICU so I like to deliver in a hospital. I'm finding at womack that even with the midwives things are pretty "standard". I don't want an IV, continuous monitoring, I won't/ can't labor in bed (too painful for me in that position), I deliver squatting, and I like to deliver my own babies! I'm willing to compromise on a very select few areas, monitoring and an IV, but the rest are not negotiable. Am I asking for too much that's out of their box? I am with a midwife after all. They are the ones that asked If I had an idea what I'd like my birth to look like. Why are they looking at me like I have 3 heads? I'm a pretty go with the flow person so I'm a little shocked that this is a big deal for them. Any advice or info? 

Re: Natural delivery possible at Womack?

• Options
    I am also on Fort Bragg and would like to keep my birth as natural as possible. I would love to hear what others have to say, as well as anything else you find out.
  • Options
    My friend had her baby boy at Womack just about a year ago and she went natural. Granted it was her first and she didn't really think she was in labor so by the time she got there it was time to push. Lol. It is entirely possible, they're not going to stick a needle in your arm if you say no.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMeredithS83:
    I'm having my third child at Womack on Fort Bragg. I like to have my babies as natural as possible; its just what works best for me. I'd love to have a midwife come to our home but we can't afford the out of pocket costs. My first child also spent time in the NICU so I like to deliver in a hospital. I'm finding at womack that even with the midwives things are pretty "standard". I don't want an IV, continuous monitoring, I won't/ can't labor in bed (too painful for me in that position), I deliver squatting, and I like to deliver my own babies! I'm willing to compromise on a very select few areas, monitoring and an IV, but the rest are not negotiable. Am I asking for too much that's out of their box? I am with a midwife after all. They are the ones that asked If I had an idea what I'd like my birth to look like. Why are they looking at me like I have 3 heads? I'm a pretty go with the flow person so I'm a little shocked that this is a big deal for them. Any advice or info? 

I think there is a big difference in saying you want a natural delivery, and saying you want to deliver squatting and deliver your own baby.  While I'm not an OB or midwife, I have never heard anyone say that's their birth plan.  

If they aren't willing to work with you then you have the option of switching to Standard and finding a midwife who will work with your birth plan.   

• Options
    I think they're pretty accommodating. I had my son there on the 7th. They asked me if I wanted skin to skin, if I wanted to breastfeed, etc. I opted for an epidural but had him vaginally. I know when I went to the birthing classes they encouraged bringing a birthing ball and said they had bars that attached to the bed you could use to labor. When in doubt...just ask!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"