Dallas-Fort Worth Babies

No Insurance... HELP

I am 34 weeks pregnant and we just found out yesterday my husband will be lossing his job at the first of the year.... the week before I'm due. Which means he's also going to loose his insurance and the baby wont be covered. What kind of options do we have?

Re: No Insurance... HELP

• Yes it does, thank you!
  • Sorry to hear this, I am sure this is a scary time for you. Are you working? If so, could you roll over onto your own health insurance plan? 

I have heard many ladies use COBRA, not ideal, Im sure, but something.

Maybe see if your hospital has some type of advisor you could speak with?

Good luck!  

• Loading the player...
  • If you do end  up with no insurance, most hospitals cut the bill by 80% and give you a payment plan.  I have had experienced this with my Mom in the last year at 2 hospitals in the DFW area. I went to the ER at Medical Center Plano and while I was there I just asked out of curiosity and they also cut the bill by 80%.  
    BabyName Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you have to pay cash you might look into an out of hospital birth. They are much less expensive and midwives are always willing to work with your budget.
  • You can apply for Medicaid or CHIP, and you can do it online. I have a friend whose hasband lost his job, and she was able to qualify. Checkups, meds, and labor and delivery are all 100% covered. If you do it asap online, you should be covered by the birth. Also go to your nearest WIC office to receive WIC which gives breastpumps as a benefit if you plan on breastfeeding.
  • imagejessicar2525:
    You can apply for Medicaid or CHIP, and you can do it online. I have a friend whose hasband lost his job, and she was able to qualify. Checkups, meds, and labor and delivery are all 100% covered. If you do it asap online, you should be covered by the birth. Also go to your nearest WIC office to receive WIC which gives breastpumps as a benefit if you plan on breastfeeding.

THIS! Before paying for COBRA... which is about 4 times what you normally would pay for insurance..... LOOK into this! Especially if you make less than $30K/year 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejessicar2525:
    You can apply for Medicaid or CHIP, and you can do it online. I have a friend whose hasband lost his job, and she was able to qualify. Checkups, meds, and labor and delivery are all 100% covered. If you do it asap online, you should be covered by the birth. Also go to your nearest WIC office to receive WIC which gives breastpumps as a benefit if you plan on breastfeeding.

I am not certain but I think you must be uninsured for at least 6 months before applying. 

NOBODY in Texas can purchase private maternity insurance right now, period! Insurance companies are trying to figure out the kinks and won't have plans available until January 2014.  It's awful!

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"