Meds and pregnancy/nursing?? — The Bump
Postpartum Depression

Meds and pregnancy/nursing??

I'm not pregnant yet and going to try to wean before TTC which won't be for another 16 months! My PPD/PPA was AWFUL!!!! If I can't get off my meds, particularly my anxiety med, what do I do? Not have any more babies?!?! My drs already said to stay calm and we will deal with things when they happen, but seeing these commercials on TV warning moms about meds scare the pee out of me!! Anybody else? How are you dealing with this?? I want to have 1 more baby and also be able to nurse again, but I know I need to be healthy to do it.
Natural meds did nothing for me...I had to have real meds and therapy. I am encapsulating my placenta this time though...anybody do that and have it help with the anxiety/ depression?
TIA!
PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

Re: Meds and pregnancy/nursing??

• You give me hope...thank you! Glad to hear you are doing well. My psychiatrist says I can stay on my meds while pregnant. He said some are much safer than others. I'm on 3, but plan to only be on one or none by that time. He said he wouldn't recommend being pregnant or nursing on all 3, buts says with proper planning and care it is possible. So see...I'm still torn. My biggest thing is getting of my anxiety med which is a benzo...if I can get off that, it would make my day.

• To give you a history of my issues, I have GAD and severe panic disorder. So a lot of anxiety and panic attacks going on over here. :)

Like you, I have tried weaning off my anxiety medication and it did not go well. I actually ended up in the hospital because it got so bad.

So not being on medication while pregnant/TTC is not an option for me.

Luckily, there are a few safe options for you. I am taking lexapro, which is pregnancy category C. Don't leg the category C scare you. I have talked about this (extensively) with my psychiatrist, and feel completely comfortable taking it. The risks to the baby are minimal compared to the risks to me if I weren't medicated.

I know there are several other meds you can take during pregnancy. I believe zoloft is one, and there are others I can't think of off-hand.

I strongly recommend that you see a psychiatrist and not a PCP or OB about this (if you don't have one already). They are specialized in mental illness and the most knowledgable about what meds you can take and how to manage your dosage during pregnancy. 

There's no reason for you to stop having children because you have anxiety!

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehomebird:
    To give you a history of my issues, I have GAD and severe panic disorder. So a lot of anxiety and panic attacks going on over here. :Like you, I have tried weaning off my anxiety medication and it did not go well. I actually ended up in the hospital because it got so bad.So not being on medication while pregnant/TTC is not an option for me.Luckily, there are a few safe options for you. I am taking lexapro, which is pregnancy category C. Don't leg the category C scare you. I have talked about this extensively with my psychiatrist, and feel completely comfortable taking it. The risks to the baby are minimal compared to the risks to me if I weren't medicated.I know there are several other meds you can take during pregnancy. I believe zoloft is one, and there are others I can't think of offhand.I strongly recommend that you see a psychiatrist and not a PCP or OB about this if you don't have one already. They are specialized in mental illness and the most knowledgable about what meds you can take and how to manage your dosage during pregnancy.nbsp;There's no reason for you to stop having children because you have anxiety!

Thank you for your response! Yea I have a phyciatrist and a therapist. I found out the hard way in the beginning by not doing so. Yea my Trazodone is pretty safe for both and am in no rush to be off that. It is my Klonopin that scares me!!! Breathing problems and addiction in infants! : I believe Ativan is much safer and I've been on it before and it has worked, so if I can get off the Klon and use the Ativan when needed...I'm ok with that. Have you used anxiety meds regularly during your pregnancies as well...other than the Lexapro?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards