June 2011 Moms
Options

Flossing teeth

I took DD for her first dental exam when she was 13 months old. At that time, the pediatric dentist had mentioned that we should start flossing her teeth once she had 2 teeth touching. I've been diligent about brushing her teeth twice a day and I would like to try to start flossing her teeth now, too. I admittedly did not do a good job with flossing my teeth everyday as a teenager and I ended up with a lot of cavities between my teeth. I'd like to do better with my daughter.

Have any of you tried this? I was thinking those little dental floss pick things would be the best bet.

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
Married: Feb 2008
DD: June 2011
TTC# 2: April 2014
BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)

Re: Flossing teeth

• Options

I never had a dentist tell me to start flossing my kids teeth at this age. Seems kinda like a bad idea to me, but what do I know.

Now for those floss picks save your money. I was using them and found out from my hygienist that they really don't help. They are good for getting bits of food out but they are too broad to get below the gum line like floss would.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    imagedannie2011:

I never had a dentist tell me to start flossing my kids teeth at this age. Seems kinda like a bad idea to me, but what do I know.

Now for those floss picks save your money. I was using them and found out from my hygienist that they really don't help. They are good for getting bits of food out but they are too broad to get below the gum line like floss would.

The pediatric dentist definite told me to do it once she had teeth come in that were side by side because that's usually where food accumulates and cavities form. I remember asking him how on Earth I was supposed to do it and he said you just keep on trying and do the best I can. I also get a monthly email from Growing Child and the 19-month article is what reminded me because it mentioned it in there as well. I tried it tonight after I brushed her teeth, but she would not let me and I didn't want to press the issue because she was really tired and ready for bed, so I guess I'll try again in the morning. I just tried using the same floss that I use on my own teeth. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't imagine that being successful! DD barely lets me brush her teeth.

You might want to check with your DD's dentist. They might suggest a particular brand of floss. It might need to be extra fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJavaVino910:
    I can't imagine that being successful! DD barely lets me brush her teeth.You might want to check with your DD's dentist. They might suggest a particular brand of floss. It might need to be extra fine.

This! If we brush, and I use that term lightly, DD's teeth every night I consider that an accomplishment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't doubt you were told to floss. What I was thinking was a bad idea was thinking you just get the floss in there and then the child takes off with the floss, wrapping it around the  roots of the tooth then pop out the tooth goes.  Probably not likely at this age, but one of my older boys had it happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    imageJavaVino910:

I can't imagine that being successful! DD barely lets me brush her teeth.

You might want to check with your DD's dentist. They might suggest a particular brand of floss. It might need to be extra fine.

Good idea. I wish I could bring her down there so they can demonstrate how I'm supposed to do this!! DD is now really good about letting me brush her teeth but her mouth is so tiny that I don't know how in the world I'm supposed to get my fingers in there and floss. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The dentist also told us we should floss, as DS's teeth touch.  They recommended using waxed floss, not the glide stuff.  We have not tried it yet, as DS is just finally getting used tous brushing his teeth and letting us do it.  Good luck!  Let me know if you have any tips as you go!
    Pinterest
    My Blog- Life With a Toddler
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#2 12/2/12 EDD 8/26/13; No heartbeat at 6w6d on 1/4/13; D&C 1/5/13
    My Ovulation Chart
    PgAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Options
    Brushing is a tough feat every time! We floss in between the 4 teeth she has up and 4 bottom ones (not consistently) at night with these. She likes having her teeth flossed. To save money, DH and I would rinse them and then he or I would use them. Gross right? Psshh...she has no gum disease. As long as we're not doing it the other way around my dental hygenist SIL approves. Gross to think about but approved.   image
  • Options

imageTurtle143:
    Brushing is a tough feat every time! We floss in between the 4 teeth she has up and 4 bottom ones (not consistently) at night with these. She likes having her teeth flossed. To save money, DH and I would rinse them and then he or I would use them. Gross right? Psshh...she has no gum disease. As long as we're not doing it the other way around my dental hygenist SIL approves. Gross to think about but approved.   image

I think I may have to try those because the regular stringy dental floss isn't working. I assume since they say "micro" on them that they're really small and easy to fit in LO's mouth?  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imagemarch2008:

imageTurtle143:

I think I may have to try those because the regular stringy dental floss isn't working. I assume since they say "micro" on them that they're really small and easy to fit in LO's mouth?  

No issues so far. We actually have both the micro and the regular one. It's the thread that is smaller in micro for tight space between teeth. DH got this kind for himself because his uppers are tight. For Liv, either one works without issues. We don't have to reach far back so no issues fitting in LO's mouth either.

• Options
    imageTurtle143:
    imagemarch2008:

imageTurtle143:

No issues so far. We actually have both the micro and the regular one. It's the thread that is smaller in micro for tight space between teeth. DH got this kind for himself because his uppers are tight. For Liv, either one works without issues. We don't have to reach far back so no issues fitting in LO's mouth either.

Thanks for sharing! We tried those tonight (different brand, but same concept) and DD didn't seem to mind much! Of course, DH was home with me to help distract her so that always makes it easier.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I can't imagine trying to floss DS' teeth!
  • Options

imageMommyKayla11:
    I can't imagine trying to floss DS' teeth!

It's really easy with those Plackers things :)

March2008: You're welcome. Glad it worked.

DD doesn't mind it at all. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"