January 2012 Moms
Options

hitting

When LO gets excited he hits.  He hits books, toys, the ipad, people.  With things I try to stop his hand and say "gentle", but with people, I haven't been consistent.  He usually gets a "[Insert Name Here], NO"  Which startles him.  I just don't know what to do or how to correct this behavior.  And I'm afraid to let him near other kids for fear that he is going to haul off and belt them one.  Any ideas? 
image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: hitting

• Options

I hear ya.

DS is more of a slapper, or smacker. Its an open hand, and more to make an noise. I tell him "No, we don't hit" or "Gentle hands". Not sure if he has any clue what I'm saying, but eventually he will.

DS also likes to tackle and climb on people - me, SS, other babies at DC. Not sure what to do about that, so the smacking thing is kind of not a big deal compared to that! 

GL, if you find something that works (I'm assuming right now it's just persistance), let us know!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ha, oh God, I got b!tchslapped BAD two days ago by DD. I mean it was a perfect slap across the face that left a perfect little star on my cheek HAHAHA

It's just a phase they go all go through. DD kind of flares her arms around and throws things that are within reach when she's upset and if you are close you WILL get hit. She's pretty good with other things and our pets but sometimes she gets so excited to see them that instead of petting them she kind of hits them. In that case I say "gentle" and even take her hand and pet the dog with her hand. That always works and she's good afterwards.

I"m trying to break the habit of her throwing all the food on the ground and/or feeding the dog. She'll always take one piece and throw the other to the dog. ALWAYS.

All of this is just them figuring everything out. All we can do is show them how it's done right, but I don't think it's anything to be worried about. It's a phase that will pass....

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh and yeah, DD likes to climb, too LOL

• Options
    I just redirect with "be sweet" or "we use gentle touches" and then I take her hand and rub the object she hit (like me, or the dogs...)
    Honestly I really dont think they really understand at this age and I think the only thing you can do is be consistent and hope that maybe he will eventually pick up that he has to be nice and not hit things?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    lp0lp0 member
    My ds does sometimes slap but its when he gets really excited rather than out of frustration. Instead when he's mad he squeezes the crap out of your neck, hand, arm, or whatever he can grab. He is freakishly strong too so it hurts! He also gives little pinches when he's falling asleep or cuddling you. It's cute but those little fingers are so strong and it really hurts sometimes.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options

DS doesn't hit too much with his hands...more of with something in his hands.  Luckily, it has been stuffed animals and it is more like he's trying to show us something but just doesn't know his span. 

However, I've been working on "Gentle" or "Nicely" when touching animals.  Today I cringed when he grabbed the dog's ear and pulled.  He's normally careful with the dog (but not the cats...not sure of the difference). 

• Options

imageLP0198:
    My ds does sometimes slap but its when he gets really excited rather than out of frustration. Instead when he's mad he squeezes the crap out of your neck, hand, arm, or whatever he can grab. He is freakishly strong too so it hurts! He also gives little pinches when he's falling asleep or cuddling you. It's cute but those little fingers are so strong and it really hurts sometimes.

This is DD, too. I have scratches on my hands and arms all the time. Her nails are also razor sharp!

• Options
    lp0lp0 member
    imagebigbear:

imageLP0198:

This is DD, too. I have scratches on my hands and arms all the time. Her nails are also razor sharp!

Omg! His little claws are so sharp! I feel like I'm clipping them every few days.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    imageLP0198:
    imagebigbear:

imageLP0198:

Omg! His little claws are so sharp! I feel like I'm clipping them every few days.

Same here! I have to clip them twice a week at least! Crazy

• Options

I've gotten a few solid slaps across the face in the past few months.   He also bites, which I hate more than the hitting. 

At this age they can't understand that their actions are hurtful.   They're either expressing an emotion (usually frustration or anger), or exploring in some way. Just get their attention and give them an alternative or teach the correct behaviour. 

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"