TTC after 35
Options

What is IUI like, timewise, & DH's involvement

It sounds so simple & common with those of us TTC, but I really don't know exactly what's involved. Do you need pain medication or sedation, & what is DH's day like that day?

Me: 42, DH: 43. We are so grateful to have a 2yr old daughter, conceived naturally after 3 miscarriages & no treatments (our Dr. gave us 1 more month to try on our own before advacing to IVF, & we conceived her naturally in January 2010)! Trying since April 2011 without sucess....MD said we were both "fine" & that if it wasn't happening, it was a chromosomal issue. Finally started Follistim 225mcg injections with an Ovidrel trigger November 2012. Bleeding 11 days post Ovidrel on November 25th. Starting the whole lab/Ultrasound/Follistim cycle again on November 27th...

Re: What is IUI like, timewise, & DH's involvement

• Options
    It is actually quite easy. It varies by office, but here's what my RE did. We had to both do infectious disease screenings, an HSG, and a semen analysis first. Then at CD1, I called my RE's office to set up a baseline ultrasound on CD3. They would do an ultrasound of my ovaries to ensure there were no cysts because you should not use Femara or Clomid with existing cysts as they would get worse with the extra stimulation. Then I start taking Femara to get my ovaries going since I have mild PCOS. After 10 to 12 days on Femara, I went in for another ultra sound to check my follicle growth. I would monitor myself using ovulation predictor kits for most cycles. Or in later cycles, I gave myself an Ovidrel shot.

36 hours later, DH would give his sample and they prepped it for the IUI a few hours later. At an IUI, the dr threads a small catheter into your cervix and injects the sperm via thin tubing into your uterus. I had a little cramping but I'm very sensitive. They had me lie there for 10 minutes. My DH came with me to every IUI because I wanted him in the room when I got pregnant but it wasn't a requirement. That is it. Very easy. Unfortunately it was not successful for us.

Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That is pretty much it, I.have nothing to add! It is super simple the hardest part is getting the semen in a cup! Dh and I have not mastered a graceful way to do that...

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you!
    Me: 42, DH: 43. We are so grateful to have a 2yr old daughter, conceived naturally after 3 miscarriages & no treatments (our Dr. gave us 1 more month to try on our own before advacing to IVF, & we conceived her naturally in January 2010)! Trying since April 2011 without sucess....MD said we were both "fine" & that if it wasn't happening, it was a chromosomal issue. Finally started Follistim 225mcg injections with an Ovidrel trigger November 2012. Bleeding 11 days post Ovidrel on November 25th. Starting the whole lab/Ultrasound/Follistim cycle again on November 27th...
  • Options
    That's helpful - thanks!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options

The most stressful part for us was having the procedure on days that we worked.  He would have to duck out for a 'break' and run to the doctor's office.  I would have to call-in sick or leave work early which isn't easy to do as a nurse in a hospital.  They need to process the specimen over a few hours and then they need you there by a certain time for the IUI.  That also made the day more stressful if we were working.  It all fell into place each time...but the IUIs weren't successful. 

Somehow he was able to give a sample on the spot when he needed to.  I never let him know how worried I was about whether or not he would be able to though.  I imagine it's a lot of pressure on the guys as it is...if they aren't able to produce, the IUI is cancelled.

I had some cramping during the procedure itself but didn't need any pain meds...it might be a good idea to take some Ibuprofen or something beforehand but you should probably clear it with the doctor.  It's really an easy process as long as your schedules for the day fall into place.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSnapdragon333:
    .  I never let him know how worried I was about whether or not he would be able to though.  I imagine it's a lot of pressure on the guys as it is...if they aren't able to produce, the IUI is cancelled.

me TOO!! The first cycle with Re was TI, and we were told to BD the day of trigger and the following 3 days, well Dh just didn't have it in him 2nd time but had a little for the 3rd time....I was so wrried going into teh iui he wouldn't be able, but he did.

The other fortunate for us is, IUI are done 1st thing in the AM so the sampl is there by 7, I am out the door 8:15/8:30 so going in a little late isn't bad.

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful!
    Me:37 DH:40 Married 7/2009 TTC since 5/2012 
    BFP 4/2013, Our Christmas Miracle Due 12/18/2013
  • Options
    This thread was very helpful. I'm a first timer here and ttc in general. At almost 40, I'm considering IVF or clomid or IUI. Really need some help figuring it out. Timing is everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"