Maryland Babies
Options

Hysteria?

DS has been having these crying fits lately. Almost always, they are right after he wakes up from a nap, but last night it was when we got home from daycare. He cried non-stop for over an hour - totally inconsolable - and then fell asleep (an hour before bedtime). I took him upstairs and put him to bed (with great difficultly, which is also not normal for him). I haven't had that much trouble putting him to bed in over a year.

During the fits he wants to be held but he points to *something* across the room and we kind of just follow where he's pointing. He can usually answer yes/no questions, but during this time, the answer to pretty much everything is no. Last night he did say yes to being tired. Usually he calms down after 30 mins or so. He never did this at all before a month or two ago. Is this normal? DCP suggested maybe it's his 2 yr molars. He's been on the early side on all his teeth so I wouldn't be surprised if they came in anytime now, but I can't see anything yet. We've had a really easy time with teething so far, so not sure if this might be a normal reaction to teething or not. DH wants to call the pedi about this (wants ME to call) and I may if it continues, but I wanted to ask on here too.

Eep. Sorry this is so long!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This

Re: Hysteria?

• Options

hmmmm - yeah that sounds weird and scary!

Teeth were never a big deal at our house so I'd be freaked out!

I would talk to him about sometime when its not happening and things are just mellow - like in the car or whatever. ..and try to walk it through w/ him and see if he can tell you what the problem is? 

When DD gets inconsolable like that, I really don't even talk to her - I just pick her up and tell her to put her head down and close her eyes and then once  she does that, we'll count to 3 a few times and take deep breathes. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    this makes me scared to have a kid! I dont know how i would handle a situation like that, I'd probably just start crying too! Tongue Tied
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

hmmmm - yeah that sounds weird and scary!

Teeth were never a big deal at our house so I'd be freaked out!

I would talk to him about sometime when its not happening and things are just mellow - like in the car or whatever. ..and try to walk it through w/ him and see if he can tell you what the problem is? 

When DD gets inconsolable like that, I really don't even talk to her - I just pick her up and tell her to put her head down and close her eyes and then once  she does that, we'll count to 3 a few times and take deep breathes. 

I wish I could talk to him about it when he's calm, but he's not at that level of communication yet. We can't have conversations with him about the past/future. Any conversation is pretty limited right now.

Mostly we do just hold him and encourage him to take deep breaths and relax. The pointing is what prompts us to ask questions because it seems like he wants something but we're not sure what (and he may not be sure what he wants either I guess).

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    John has been having these for the past year, but not very frequently.  There doesn't seem to be any ryhme or reason to them, just sometimes when he wakes up from a nap and maybe 3 or 4 times when we get home.  His really seem emotionally based though, coupled with being exhausted.  He is pretty much inconsolable, we just sit with him and we keep asking him whats wrong.  A few times he has said "maybe I just want to cry"  which is so sad, but I think it's a reaction to being upset about something but unable to articulate what it is.  The only way I've stopped it is to distract him.  Most of the time I make him take a few sips of a drink, give him the iPad, or done something really silly.  And once he's done he is fine, happy, running around, etc. I've also noticed that the ones that happen after DC are the days he didn't take a nap.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Reading this post made me remember that age, and how frustrating it was when there was something wrong but his communication was just not at the level yet to tell me what it was. I had almost forgotten about that now that DS1 is a total chatterbox and tells me everything in excruciating detail. My point, I remember stuff like this happening sporadically. I even got calls from daycare a couple of times that he woke up screaming from naps inconsolable for at least an hour, and all he would say is he wanted me (gee, that made me feel great having to have that conversation at work). So besides asking him very basically stuff like "Do you hurt? Can you point to where it hurts?" and holding him/comforting him like Kathryn mentioned, I don't really have any suggestions. but know that it is not unheard of!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

When Bailey is upset (like yesterday when she just HAD to do puzzles on Mommy's phone or else life was over), I hold her kind of in front of me and say, "Hey, look at Mommy. What's wrong?" in the hopes that she'll calm down enough to try and tell me. She just kept saying "puzzles on Mommy's phone" while crying so I just keep trying to engage her in conversation. "You want to do puzzles?" "Can we go get some milk, sit on the couch and calm down and then we can try some puzzles?" I try to distract and remedy the hysteric behavior before giving in to exactly what she's crying about (depending on what that is, of course). It's hard...we haven't had many outbursts but I know they're coming. :-/

But if it is teeth or something sorta beyond his control maybe try and ask if his teeth are hurting. Point to his mouth and say "ouch"? Hope these moments are far and few between for you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

J has done this a few times, once this past week. One minute he is shoving us away the next dragging us around screaming. Pulling us down to sit, then up to stand. It is like he doesn't even know what he wants, he can't even point to a specific item. We just continue to talk calmly to him and occupy him with something else.

He has also been a bear when it comes to bedtime (which is not the norm for him) and waking up much earlier that usual. So who knows...Toddlers are such a mystery!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"