Maryland Babies

A doc you like versus hospital

Hi Gang!

Im already in a little bit of a quandary. And looking for some advice.

Right now, my OBGYN is through St Joe's Hospital. and I LOVE him. I adore him. He's been my regular GYN since I moved here a couple years ago, and saw me through a cold knife conization (he did the surgery) and he took great care of me. 

My dilema comes in, that I want to have my baby at a different hospital due to where Mr Pirate works (he works in the ER at a different hospital). 

What do I do? We have friends who recently delivered at the hospital I want to be at, and they gave me the name of the OB they used. 

I have a WICKED phobia of hospitals due to a freak accident I encountered during surgery when I was 16. (Basically- I had my adenoids out, and came out with a 4" 2nd/3rd degree burn in the middle of my back and spent 9 months seeing a plastic surgeon to correct it. I still have a huge scar from it.) So I do not do well in hospitals. 

I really want to be at Mr Pirates hospital because I know LOTS of the nurses and staff, and that would be such a comfort to me. 

Should I just start seeing the OB our friends recommended? Or should I see my usual guy first?

(and distance is not a factor. The hospitals are practically across the street from each other. Seriously. One stoplight apart.

Re: A doc you like versus hospital

• Can you ask your current OB if he rights to see patients at other hospital?

If you really want to be at the other hospital I would set up an appointment with the OB that your friend recommended and check them out. You may find that your not getting a good vibe from new doctor and want to stick with old doctor. 

• I am assuming GBMC is where you want to deliver?  I understand your fears-i just had to switch docs...while the hospital didn't matter so much to me I did want to make sure I delivered in the same hospital.  I see Dr. Merryman and love her...she delivers at GBMC.  Just a siggestion if you decide to go with someone new.
    image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
  • Loading the player...
  • yes that's where I want to go :)

And it was Dr Allen along with Dr Merryman that was recommended to me :) so YAY for that!

Maybe I'll give her a call this morning and see if I can get an appointment with her. 

Thank you!

(still open to more opinions and suggestions too!)

• I had an amazing experience at GBMC and will deliver #2 there. I see the doctors at Charles Street OBGYN at the suggestion of some ladies here. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yay!

My mind is made up. Im going to GBMC. 

I keep trying to call the Doc's office, but there must be something wrong with their phones. Either its busy, or "The Office is currently closed" message comes on. (said they open at 9, its now 10:30)

• your H works in the ER at GBMC? how well does he know the nurses on the floor in L&D?

Anyway, if you are terrified of hospitals, I would honestly say that I would stick with the doctor I love.  Your doctor is going to have a lot of control over your care and I would value that more than the actual hospital.  The nurses at my hospital were constantly conferring with my OB.  If I was nervous about hospitals, I would not give up a doctor you love and trust.  I can understand wanting to deliver at the hospital where your H works but for me personally, I would value the doctor over the actual hospital (provided I still liked the hospital well enough, it got good reviews, etc etc).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageIrishPiratess:

yes that's where I want to go :)

And it was Dr Allen along with Dr Merryman that was recommended to me :) so YAY for that!

Maybe I'll give her a call this morning and see if I can get an appointment with her. 

Thank you!

(still open to more opinions and suggestions too!)

Don't know much about Dr. Allen although she looks super nice...I like Dr. Merryman...and I am glad I went with the recs from here!

image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
  • does anyone know if Dr Allen and Merrymen's office is closed for the holiday?

I tried calling all day yesterday and again this morning, and am still getting the "the office is currently closed. We open at 9" message. 

My friend who recently used the even tried to call for me, and got the same thing. 

Just seems kind of odd

• Any luck getting through...I know they break for lunch but not that early.  Have you tried hitting the number for the emergency...it usually just goes to the nurse working the desk. 
  • no not yet. Still getting the same message.

I guess I'll try again and see if I can get through that way. (I just feel kinda bad doing that. My dad has a pager for his business and it always drives him (and the rest of the family) nuts when people do that! LOL)

• Took your advice Bun- I hit the emergency line.

they are really closed! he said that they will reopen on monday at 130. So I'll be calling then to make my appointment!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"