Postpartum Depression
Options

Prozac ?

Hi Ladies,

So I posted on the breastfeeding board and on my birth month board also, but I wanted to ask here as well.  I am pretty certain that I am suffering from PPA.  I rarely sleep, I'm worried all the time, I have a lot of anxiety attacks, I'm grumpy and I snap at my husband, and I am basically just freaked out all the time about my LO.  I always worry something is wrong with him and when I try to rest, I can feel my heart beat out of my entire body, I get hot all over, and just can't relax. 

I called my OB yesterday and talked with the nurses about meds.  At first, they said they would prescribe Effexor, but then when I talked with her more, and described my symptoms, she called back and said she wanted to switch me to Prozac 20mg. 

I feel like a comic strip, because now I am having anxiety about taking my anxiety meds, haha!  I am still exclusively breast feeding, and I'm worried that it is not good to take while I am nursing him.  I asked my dr about it and also called my pediatrician too.  They both said that it's not the "safest" med, but it is in the "safer" category.  I've tried to research it a lot too and I haven't read anything horrible, especially since my LO is already 4 months old.  But, I wanted to check with you all and see if you had any insight into taking Prozac? 

A few years ago, I took Lexapro for a bout with depression and it worked well for me.  Do you think taking Prozac will be ok?  My drs seem to think it's fine, but like I said, now I am having anxiety about taking my anxiety meds!  Geesh!  Let me know what you think!  Thanks so much! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Prozac ?

• Options
    I'm not really suffering from PPD/A since my kids are older, but I'm having major general anxiety.  I started on 5mg of Prozac on New Years.  About a week later, I was way worse so my doctor switched me to Zoloft because my brother takes it and has had success with it.  I'm taking Ativan as a little extra boost until the Zoloft fully kicks in.  I know this doesn't answer any of your questions about breastfeeding, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in the having anxiety over taking anxiety meds.  Listen to the doctors and I hope you feel better soon!
  • Options

Prozac saved me. I can't say it any better than that. I was always very anti-meds, but I credit Prozac for making me a better person. I took it during my pregnancy and while nursing DS for two years. I went off it when I weaned DS and felt fine for over a year. After I had DD, my world turned upside down. I had all of the symptoms you are describing and then some. I was a total mess. I was scaring myself. I had really wanted to to avoid medication with this baby and when my doctor gave me 10mg Prozac to start taking, I was so guilty and anxious. Everything was fine. I felt so much better. i'm a better mother and a better wife. I started taking it when DD was 3 months old. She's 8 months now and is a wonderful, easy going baby. Her pediatrician said that it's not the BEST medication to take, but it's the kind of thing where the benefits out weigh the risks.

That all being said, not every drug works the same for everyone. In the past I've tried wellbutrin, zoloft, celexia, none of them worked. Prozac was the drug for me. A low dose worked fine. Maybe try 10mg to start? Keep in mind, you will not feel the full benefits until 6-8 weeks. The second time I went on it, I felt better after a week and then 100% after 8 weeks. You have to be patient with these drugs, but they work.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"