Food Allergy
Options

Tell me about milk allergy and any possible testing

DD was sensitive to milk protein in my breast milk - getting very gassy along with loose and frothy stools.  So I cut out dairy and when we transitioned to formula we found soy formula was no problem (thank goodness - she refused the hydrolyzed formula).  She's still been nursing along with the formula, and every time I try dairy, she has a reaction.  So, I'm pretty sure it's a real thing. 

Since starting formula at around 6 months, she's struggled with constipation.  We try to increase her intake of naturally laxative foods (prunes, peaches, etc.) and decrease her exposure to the BRAT diet, along with trying to get her to take any water (she doesn't take much still).  

Last night there was blood in her stool for the first time.  I've recently been increasing my dairy intake, but we've also been giving her lots of other foods, like melon and egg, that are common allergens but that she hasn't appeared to have a problem with.

SO, here's my question: I know when she was a baby, allergy testing was not recommended.  But when can it be recommended?  We are pulling the allergens and will re-introduce slowly, but I'd love it if I could just get a hard answer.  I feel like we've gone back and forth so much.  Plus, maybe she's allergic to a non-common allergen, but we're overlooking it...

We have her 1 year appointment with a new doctor on Monday (switched insurance so we had to switch docs).  I want to know if it's reasonable to ask for allergy testing.  

Phew - that ended up being longer than I thought it would be.   I'm just really frustrated, and really upset about seeing my baby cry every time she poops still.

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tell me about milk allergy and any possible testing

• Options

Most docs recommend to wait until age 1 for allergy testing. The younger the child is, the less accurate the results tend to be. So, I would definitely ask at the 1 yr appt. The pedi can order a blood RAST test. If you want skin testing done too, you'll need to a see a pedi allergist for that. 

Could the blood in her stool have been from straining to poop? DD1 used to get very constipated too, and would sometimes have blood in her stool from straining. She does also have a milk allergy, but she gets hives from it touching her skin. DD2 is milk and soy protein intolerant, so I'm dairy and soy free. She has been tested for allergies, but she does not test positive for milk or soy, because she has an intolerance and not an allergy. Likewise, if your LO is intolerant to milk, her allergy test will come out negative.

I do think it's a good idea to have the testing done so you know if it's an allergy or not. Just know that it may be negative, but that doesn't mean milk isn't a real problem for your LO, just like with my DD2.  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    I'd also ask for allergy bloodwork.  My DS had his first at 9 months although the pedi had previously suggested we wait till a year.  His eczema was crazy though so he approved us moving forward. Best of luck in solving the mystery for your LO!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice!  I will definitely be asking for allergy blood work on Monday.  The blood could be due to straining... or eating sticks (darn those teeth and DD's love of sticks! - we obviously try to stop this)... or an allergy.  Thanks for clarifying that there is a difference between intolerance and allergy.  I'm going to research that now :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"