March 2013 Moms

Gestational Diabetes

Anyone else diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes? 

I am 31 weeks and was diagnosed at week 27, and I have been doing well controlling my diabetes with diet. Except that I am so tired of eating the same thing every day. Now, I feel like I'm going to puke if anyone mentions eggs, cheese, oatmeal, chicken, greek yogurt, and peanut butter to me one more time.  

I can only have 15 carbs for breakfast, 15-30 carbs for snack, and 45 carbs for lunch and dinner. Except that I have found if I eat the allotted carbs I go over, so i'm actually eating less carbs to sustain my blood sugars and adding in a snack to get the carbs and calories I need. 

Anyone have meal or snack ideas??? The next 6-9 weeks can't go by fast enough.  

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• How do you do with things like lentils and quinoa?  They're higher in protein even though they still have carbs.  Also try the High-Risk board <--, there are a lot of GD ladies over there that might have ideas.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • https://paleomg.com/

This diet changed my husband's life. He lost 20 lbs on it even though it's not for weight loss... it's a lifestyle change. I was doing it too before I got pregnant... I still try to stay low carb/low sugar because it's so much healthier for everyone.  Lots of great recipes on this site.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Why do they have to make it smell so good if you can't eat it?? BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel for you, I had it in my last pregnancy. I'll list some of my favs that I used to eat. Turkey burger no bun with sweet potato fries, chef salad, Pepperidge Farms has a Carb Style wheat bread that I think had about 5 carbs per slice so you can have two peices with lunch meat, whole grain rice cakes with peanut butter and a little jelly, chive and onion cottage cheese, almond milk, chicken and cheese quesadilla, real dark chocolate, so delicious coconut milk ice cream... Sorry for rambling! Hope you find some new foods to add to your day.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I also have GD.  I can get pretty boring eating the same meals.

Last night my DH and I shared beef and shrimp fajitas, corn tortillas, black beans, cheese, and I had a tiny bit of mexican rice.  I also make turkey burgers and use thin wheat bagels as a bun with sweet potato fries,  use small round wheat pita breads to make cheese pizza, or make roast with veggies in a crock pot.    I like to snack on popcorn, special K protien bars, sugar free jello, lactose free chocolate pudding, hummus with veggies, dressing and veggies, beef jerky, and lactose free milk.  I haven't ventured out from these things much...I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago.  

Have you been to the High Risk board..I get lots of ideas from the ladies on that board!   GL! 

• I was just diagnosed this week..... I find out tomorrow how it's going to affect my diet.....and I'm already gluten intolerant so I found it frustrating that when we went to the grocery store it seems like pretty much all of the "diabetic" substitutes have wheat in them. So looking forward to talking to the diet folks tomorrow to get a better grasp of what I really CAN eat.  I did find some 1/2 sugar jelly that does not have the artificial sweetners in it since I also don't tolerate artificial sweetners (aspartame, sweetnlow, splenda, etc all cause digestive/physical discomforts in me)

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • My staples:

-  Protein or Fiber bar for breakfast

-  Whole grain frozen waffle with peanut butter and blueberries

-  Low carb tortillas piled high with pizza toppings and baked

-  Laughing cow cheese with crackers for a snack

-  BERRIES!  Other fruit makes my sugars crazy, but I can eat blueberries and strawberries with no negative affects

-  Burgers/Turkey burgers with no bun

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My diet is also a little different from yours. I can have 30 g for breakfast, 3045 for lunch, and 4560 for dinner. I also get two snacks with 15 each. I have HG and cannot tolerate meat without throwing up so food is a BIG challenge right now. We do a lot of food on 6" flour tortillas. One of those is one 15 g carb serving. My husband found low carb bread that is only 8 g of carb. For protein I do a lot of eggs but am getting sick of them! and turkey bacon the only meat I can tolerate and turkey bacon is, unlike regular bacon, counted as a protein and not a fat. I drink a cup of milk with Nesquik added. That is both a carb and protein so works for snacks. I love veggie burgers. I do a lot of oatmeal with nuts chopped in it for breakfast. I actually bought a low glycemic index cookbook that lists carbs per serving that I am using for dinners. Most of the "diabetic" cookbooks allow way more carbs per serving than I'm allowed, but the low glycemic one works well!
  • Going along with the cookbook thing.... I bought two South Beach Diet cookbooks.  All of the recipes have the right amount of carbs needed, and some are even so low carb that I add some dreamfield's pasta or quinoa as a side.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks everyone for the suggestion. This is just so frustrating for me! It's my first pregnancy and I was only 112 lbs when I got pregnant and have only gained 18 pounds since. IT was really difficult for me to put on the weight then I get diagnosed with GD. 

I exercise after every meal for 30 min, plus I do a prenatal yoga class, and am going to start trying prenatal water aerobics, because the brisk walking gives me so many braxton hicks (and my midwife says it's my body's way of telling me to slow down or the baby might come early).

Plus I have to check my sugar after 1 hour from the start of a meal and it needs to be below 130. It's been pretty easy managing my diet but I feel when I try something new my numbers aren't good.  I always have a carb + a protein + fiber + fat at every meal and snack. I have tried quinoa and beans but I can't have as much as it's recommended for a serving of carbs or my numbers are all out of whack. Plus these hormonal changes do not help at all... 

I just hope my body starts to regulate. I just want to have a natural delivery and deliver a healthy baby. 

• imagemtchiv:

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. This is just so frustrating for me! It's my first pregnancy and I was only 112 lbs when I got pregnant and have only gained 18 pounds since. IT was really difficult for me to put on the weight then I get diagnosed with GD. 

I exercise after every meal for 30 min, plus I do a prenatal yoga class, and am going to start trying prenatal water aerobics, because the brisk walking gives me so many braxton hicks (and my midwife says it's my body's way of telling me to slow down or the baby might come early).

Plus I have to check my sugar after 1 hour from the start of a meal and it needs to be below 130. It's been pretty easy managing my diet but I feel when I try something new my numbers aren't good.  I always have a carb + a protein + fiber + fat at every meal and snack. I have tried quinoa and beans but I can't have as much as it's recommended for a serving of carbs or my numbers are all out of whack. Plus these hormonal changes do not help at all... 

I just hope my body starts to regulate. I just want to have a natural delivery and deliver a healthy baby. 

Found out today that I have to check 2 hours after eating and need to be under 120. 

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"