Military Families

Tricare

Hi everyone, this is my husbands first deployment and also our first baby. We were so focused on trying to get the baby to come out before he left that we didn't get organized and prepare things for when he'd be gone.. Completely our fault and we both take full responsibility but now we were stuck with some insurance problems. I am tricare prime and had my baby and everything went smooth. Then my husband deployed... And he never signed the form to allow me to get our son in deers, and nor did he give me power of attorney before he left.
Anyways I moved back with my family and the area I'm in does not have any near places that accept tricare prime, so I need I switch to standard.
My husband is working on getting me the poa so I can get our son into deers and on tricare standard before his two week wellness visit, but its coming up so soon I don't think it will get done in time.
My question is, if I call tricare and switch myself to standard, will my son still be covered for the 60 days, an be under standard too. I know he is still covered as of right now under prime, but its useless in the area we are in.
And also if it were to come down to it and his checkup came and he wasn't covered under any insurance, how much would just his two week checkup cost? He already had his first hep. shot in the nursery.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tricare

• It shouldn't matter if you have tricare prime. From what I understand, the doctor either accepts tricare or doesn't. I don't live near a MTF and is still have prime. Did you call tricare and ask them what PCM you should go to? I don't think you need to switch to standard.
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • Baby is covered under prime for the first 60 days as long as one other family members is on Prime. Your H will still be on Prime, so baby is good. After 60 days baby will be covered by Standard until his first birthday, even if you don't get him into DEERS.

Use the "find a doctor" function on Tricare.mil to find a doctor who accepts Tricare. If you are more than 45 miles from an MTF, you can remain on Prime and see a civilian provider. If you're still having trouble finding a doctor, call Tricare and ask for help.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemeltoine:

Baby is covered under prime for the first 60 days as long as one other family members is on Prime. Your H will still be on Prime, so baby is good. After 60 days baby will be covered by Standard until his first birthday, even if you don't get him into DEERS.

Use the "find a doctor" function on Tricare.mil to find a doctor who accepts Tricare. If you are more than 45 miles from an MTF, you can remain on Prime and see a civilian provider. If you're still having trouble finding a doctor, call Tricare and ask for help.  

This.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imagecaffrin:
    It shouldn't matter if you have tricare prime. From what I understand, the doctor either accepts tricare or doesn't. I don't live near a MTF and is still have prime. Did you call tricare and ask them what PCM you should go to? I don't think you need to switch to standard.

This.

It's retroactive. As long as your husband filled out the "I was told I have a baby coming" paperwork (yes I know there's a term for it but I can't remember) then you're covered. He would've filled that out as soon as you knew you were pregnant. Once you have the baby and you're married to a military man, your baby is covered on Standard, period. Get that POA though! He should NEVER go anywhere without you having one of those! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's also worth mentioning here that the DEERS office won't accept a general POA. You need one that specifically enunciates that you have POA to add dependents to his DEERS profile. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecaffrin:
    It shouldn't matter if you have tricare prime. From what I understand, the doctor either accepts tricare or doesn't. I don't live near a MTF and is still have prime. Did you call tricare and ask them what PCM you should go to? I don't think you need to switch to standard.

Some places do accept standard and not prime (prime is much more paperwork, and a PITA to deal with and some doctors don't like to mess with it) I have run into this a few times in central florida not being near a base 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"