Natural Birth

Are birthing classes beneficial for natural labor?

I am a first time mom and I am preparing for a natural birth. I am reading books, going to a CNM who specializes in NL, and having my husband read up on natural labor coaching.  Since this is our first baby--do you recommend a birthing class?  Is it really that helpful?  Has anyone heard of any online videos or classes that may be beneficial?  We have limited classes in my area so i am interested in other options out there.

Re: Are birthing classes beneficial for natural labor?

• Yes, IMO birthing classes are beneficial!  That being said I think it depends what birthing class you take.  The one that the hospital offers probably isn't the best one for someone preparing for a natural birth.  This board talks a lot about hypnobabies and the Bradley Method. 

My experience:  DH and I took Bradley courses.  In the course you get a book and watch a bunch of movies dealing with natural birth.  It was empowering and educational and I don't think I could have done it with that.   

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• The Bradley Courses would be the best to take since they are centered around natural birth.  I just took the hospital classes and still found them helpful in general.  Our nurse even leaned toward med-free birthing since you never know what will happen.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're going to skip classes, I suggest you read and read and read some more! Read Bradley books, the Birth Partner, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, hypnobirth/babies, any natural birth stories you can find here or elsewhere. 

I did take a childbirth class slanted towards intervention-free L&D and I really thought it was helpful.  For me, though, the thing (other than a supportive DH) that really got me through my L&D was knowing what was in store, what was "normal", etc, and that mostly came from all the reading I did. 

Good luck! 

DX: Severe MFI 
    IVF # 1 ~ Antagonist ~ ER 1/27/11~ ET 1/30/11 ~ + HPT 7dp3dt 
    DD born med-free on 10/24/11 
    Lilypie - (lZjk)
    IVF # 2 ~Antagonist ~ ER 6/5/13 ~ ET 6/10/13 ~ + HPT 4dp5dt 
    Lilypie - (OUlo)

• Some women do fine without them. I reccomend them though. Some people I know have said that they were good bonding activities for them and their spouse. They are also beyond beneficial. I also liked that I got to know other natural birth mommies they were a great support system and my Lamaze instructor has been a huge help with everything baby. A lot of teachers also teach breastfeeding classes. The one mine offered was ahuge help.
  • I went to one class and dropped out (for many reasons). I had a natural birth and my husband (who had fears and doubts) was amazingly helpful and supportive during my difficult labor.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• My home birth MW strongly suggested a natural birthing class for her FTMs.  I personally found that I didn't really learn anything at mine, but I am a BIG reader.  It was pretty beneficial for DH, who really wasn't interested in reading any of the books.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I do.  We took the Bradley classes very helpful and really enjoyed them.  I read up on natural birth myself but it was nice to have an instructor talk about childbirth and ask her questions.  They class was great because it educated H on childbirth and taught him how to be a great coach.  We were not nervous about labor because we were educated and prepared for it by the Bradley classes.  If you have the time and the money I would highly recommend a childbirth class (but not the hospital based class)!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"