November 2011 Moms

Getting out vomit stench

Since it is cold/flu season I thought I'd share this tip.  Both of my kids have been sick with things that have caused a lot of vomiting and our carpets have taken a beating.  After cleaning up vomit the stench seems to remain.   DH and I discovered that sprinkling the affected spot with baking soda and leaving it for a few hours before vacuuming it up works wonders.  Often we sprinkle it with a little cinnamon too just because it smells nice, but that is definitely optional. 

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15

Re: Getting out vomit stench

• Aw, your poor LOs!!  Sorry for so much vomiting, but thanks for the tip!  Puke smell is awful.  Ick!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh, thanks for the tip - but still gross! lol.  Don't forget - vinegar is a deodorizer as well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLittleMommaBlueHen:
    Since it is cold/flu season I thought I'd share this tip.  Both of my kids have been sick with things that have caused a lot of vomiting and our carpets have taken a beating.  After cleaning up vomit the stench seems to remain.   DH and I discovered that sprinkling the affected spot with baking soda and leaving it for a few hours before vacuuming it up works wonders.  Often we sprinkle it with a little cinnamon too just because it smells nice, but that is definitely optional. 

That's a great tip. Thanks for sharing. Sorry you had to go through that with the kids though. Just a quick question, do you think the cinnamon might stain a lighter color carpet?

• imageChan4dra04:
    Oh, thanks for the tip but still gross! lol.nbsp; Don't forget vinegar is a deodorizer as well!

I have a spray bottle of half vinegar, half water that I'd always use to
    clean when DS was younger and a spit up machine. Just spray on the spit up and give it a little scrub with a towel
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imagepurpleXdandelion:
    imageChan4dra04:
    Oh, thanks for the tip but still gross! lol.nbsp; Don't forget vinegar is a deodorizer as well!
    I have a spray bottle of half vinegar, half water that I'd always use to clean when DS was younger and a spit up machine. Just spray on the spit up and give it a little scrub with a towel

Nice!  We use that concoction for so much around the house.  Windows, dog pee (GRRR!), kitchen, bathroom, etc.  Love it. 

• imageRedCamaro:

imageLittleMommaBlueHen:

That's a great tip. Thanks for sharing. Sorry you had to go through that with the kids though. Just a quick question, do you think the cinnamon might stain a lighter color carpet?

I haven't had issues with staining and my carpet is fairly light colored (neutral beige).  If you were worried about the possibility though, just use the baking soda (and wait until the vomitted on area is dry before sprinkling)

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"