Natural Birth
Options

GBS +, what does it mean to have antibiotics in labor?

So will I still be able to be in a birthing tub with having to have a penicillin IV? How long does it take for the IV to drip in and I can get disconnected?

I'm feeling kind of beat down by this development. I'm loading up on probiotics and I'm going to asked to be tested again next week in the hope I got rid of it. I already had a round of antibiotics during pregnancy...wondering if that contributed to my GBS + status this time :(

DX PCOS, Endometriosis 2009
Eliot. Born 6/18/10
Missed m/c discovered 1/6/12 at 8-9 weeks
D&C 1/10/12
My Blog
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GBS +, what does it mean to have antibiotics in labor?

• Options
    I don't know about the tub, but I would have been allowed in the shower with the hep lock/IV had I wanted. That said, they administered my antibiotics while doing the initial assessment/monitoring of the baby, so I was bedbound. Worst part of my LD, honestly, though not to scare you.
    I think it took about an hour, and then I progressed too fast to get a second dose.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

They give you the first dose right when you get to the hospital, so probably before you get in the tub.  I wouldn't have been allowed in the tub with the antibiotics, but it only took like 10 minutes, and I would have just gotten right back in the tub after the second dose.   It all turned out to be a moot point for me, because my daughter was born before I could even fill up the tub.

Also, I know how you feel about being down about it.  I left the appointment when they told me I was GBS+ in tears, but it really turned out just fine and didn't upset my labor plans at all. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Before I respond to the tub question, I just wanted to lend some support.  I was very upset when I first learned I was GBS+ but in retrospect, I would have saved myself the stress and worry. 

I ended up having PROM so I went straight to the hospital for antibiotics.  They gave me my heplock and started the drip.  I was administered the antibiotics for 20 minutes and then off the IV and I could whatever I pleased.  Walk, shower, tub, etc.  You are administered the meds every four hours but they let me ride until 6 hours and once I got back in the bed for the second round, I was pushing. 

So, its not the end of world.  I barely noticed the lock.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options

I was pretty disappointed when I found out I was GBS + too, but really, it's wasn't bad at all. Don't let it get you down!

I was pretty dehydrated when I got to the hospital, so I wasn't disconnected from the IV at all, but honestly, the monitors were worse than the IV. The actual penicillin took about 30 - 45 minutes to drip in and I didn't feel it at all. I didn't want to get in the tub (I tried it at home and it wasn't helpful), though my Midwife and the nurse offered despite my IV.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I was able to deliver my daughter in the tub GBS+. I can't remember which antibiotic they used, but it was only an every 8 hour dose. They did a little butterfly needle into my hand and disconnected entirely. 

Good luck with the probiotics. I was in the process of doing them to be retested when my water broke and I delivered.  

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Options

Like you and others, I was pretty depressed when I found out I was GBS+, but in all honesty it turned out to be no big deal.

I still labored at home for a long time (my water had not broken) and I was 6 cm when I arrived at the hospital. They administered the IV right away, but I was still free to move about as I wanted and I got in the tub too - no problems! Sure, it was a bit more to think about when I wanted to move, but my husband was there to help keep the line from getting tangled and whatnot.

I had the IV in the entire time I was laboring at the hospital (4 hours) and once it was in, it never occurred to me to ask them to take it off. By then I was in labor zone and I had bigger things to worry about. I would have preferred to go without the IV for sure but it by no means compromised my ultimate goal. GL and stay positive, you can do this! 

• Options
    I wasn't 36 weeks yet so I hadn't even taken the test so they treated me as GBS+. They gave me a Hep lock. To be honest, I hated it. It was one of the most annoying parts of labor (I had to be induced with Pitocin, had an OP baby and pushed for 2 hours). The penicillin burned horribly so they turned it down so it took about 1 hour each time they gave it to me. This didn't help much and it still burned bad. I was there for over 40 hours so that's a lot of penicillin. I have thrush now probably due to the penicillin.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"