Natural Birth

Another delayed clamping question - re: cord blood collection

My DH and I have been "discussing" the pros and cons of delayed clamping (which I want to do) and cord blood banking (which he wants to do).  I was under the impression from researching that you could not do both.

I had a doctors appointment yesterday so I asked the OBGYN, she said "sure we can do both" which caught me off guard, how?  she did say we couldn't wait too long and had to clamp and cut the cord before the placenta was delivered but that we could still delay clamping a few minutes and then collect cord blood.

I assume this would mean that most but not all of the blood would transfer into the baby after birth and the small amount remaining would be saved, but I thought there was a minimum that had to be collected for cord blood banking.

Has anyone done both successfully?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Another delayed clamping question - re: cord blood collection

• It is my understanding that you cannot do both.  With banking, they recommend clamping within two minutes after baby is out in order to collect enough volume.
  • Why does your DH want to bank? There are very, very few people for whom this is reasonably likely to be of benefit. Everyone else is throwing money away on a scam that feeds on the fear of new parents.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetokenhoser:
    Why does your DH want to bank? There are very, very few people for whom this is reasonably likely to be of benefit. Everyone else is throwing money away on a scam that feeds on the fear of new parents.

I know, that is my stance on it, but he is listening to his mother and sister who think it is a MUST DO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Then I'd go along with trying to do both, and be happy when it turns out they couldn't collect enough to make storage worthwhile. Stick out tongue

Cord blood banking is a pet peeve of mine, though. 

• imagetokenhoser:

Then I'd go along with trying to do both, and be happy when it turns out they couldn't collect enough to make storage worthwhile. Stick out tongue

Cord blood banking is a pet peeve of mine, though. 

the funny thing is, that is exactly what I was thinking.

DH tends to take a doctors word as fact, so when he heard we could do both from the mouth of the doctor he considered the matter settled.

The more research I do though, I don't think that doctor is giving us the right info, so might as well just do the delayed clamping and see what happens.

BabyFetus Ticker

• I wanted to delay clamping and donate my cord blood and was able to do both. The MW said they can't always, but they were able to with me. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"