Natural Birth
Options

Book recommendations?

I hope it's okay if I post here. I am not necessarily planning a natural childbirth, but I would like to hold off on the epidural until I really need it, since I have heard it can slow labor down. In my mind, dealing with a little pain for a shorter while is better than no pain but a drawn out process. Plus, I don't like the idea of being confined to a bed if this ends up taking a long time. I'd like to be able to move around if I feel the need to.

I'm hoping to find some books that describe pain coping techniques that I can apply when the time comes - any recommendations? I have heard good things about the Bradley Method, but am not familiar with any others (or even know if this is good or not). I'm not looking for any philosophical resources about why natural is better - I'm just interested in the how-tos of coping with labor naturally.

Thanks! And sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times... as you know, TB's search function sucks.

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.

Re: Book recommendations?

• Options
    Hey fellow PgALer :) I'm in the middle of reading 'Natural Hospital Birth' and it has a lot of coping techniques and how your birth partner can support you before/if you decide not to get pain medication.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Not a book, but a good resource is this video series on coping with labor pain, from eHow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5HJ83xXQvM 

"Can I call your baby 'Ze Munchkin,' or 'ZM' for short?" - my best friend
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ina May Gaskin - Guide to Childbirth
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    natural birth the bradley way by susan mccutcheon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagebreannep:
    Ina May Gaskin - Guide to Childbirth

This. I also liked the thinking womens guide to a better birth by Henci Goer.

• Options

the thinking womans guide to a better birth by henci goer

and natural child birth the bradley way 

• Options

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth was SO inspirational. The first half of the book is real birth stories... all from women who went natural. The second half is advice, facts and knowledge from Ina May, one of the nations most reknown midwives.

If you're looking for pain management, look into Hypnobabies. You can sign up for the class or do the home study. I would say that 99% of the moms going into Hypnobabies plan on birthing naturally, so the study is focused around that. However, the coping mechanisms alone are FANTASTIC. I know someone personally who used the method during birth and said she'd do it again in a heartbeat. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"