Cloth Diapering
Options

Tide and diaper rash?

We just switched to Tide because I'd absolutely had it with the diaper stinkiness (we have extremely hard water, and nothing I'd tried was getting the diapers clean enough), and while it's getting our diapers clean, out of nowhere DD now has a really terrible rash on her bottom. It's patchy and even a little weepy in a few spots.

The pediatrician recommended we slather her with Desitin for a few days and switch back to our old detergent. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to stick with the Tide if she's going to react to it, but I just can't seem to find a hard water wash routine that works for us, and I'm tired of buying a new detergent every few weeks :/ 

We were doing a cold rinse, hot wash with Tide up to the 1 line, and another cold rinse, every other day or a little more, so a pretty decent sized load. I considered using less detergent and adding another rinse, but I'm still worried. Any ideas?

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Tide and diaper rash?

• Options
    not necessarily CD advice but I know that I am allergic to tide detergent so, it's possible that your LO just is as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    no ideas but we are in the same boat. We also have hard water and only tide works super well but DD just can't handle it.

I have a bottle of allen's OTW as I had a sample that seemed to work as well as tide.

FWIW, Tiny Bubbles, RNG hard rock, Target clean pristine. and bum genius didn't get them clean enough and DD can't tolerate Charlie's either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yup, that's the risk of using regular Tide.

I'd switch to the Free and Clear powder, as it's possible she's just sensitive to the dyes and fragrance. If that doesn't do it, it's probably the enzymes. Another rinse on the end may help, as well.

• Options

imagemonksmama:
    no ideas but we are in the same boat. We also have hard water and only tide works super well but DD just can't handle it. I have a bottle of allen's OTW as I had a sample that seemed to work as well as tide. FWIW, Tiny Bubbles, RNG hard rock, Target clean pristine. and bum genius didn't get them clean enough and DD can't tolerate Charlie's either.

Good to know I'm not the only one that's tried and failed so many detergents! It's maddening.

imagetokenhoser:

Yup, that's the risk of using regular Tide.

I'd switch to the Free and Clear powder, as it's possible she's just sensitive to the dyes and fragrance. If that doesn't do it, it's probably the enzymes. Another rinse on the end may help, as well.

I hated making the switch. Thanks for the advice!

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have really hard water and use tide as well. We added Calgon water softener to our wash routine to control ammonia burn.
    We cold rinse, hot wash with a 1/16 cup of water softener and 1/16 cup of tide, warm rinse.
    The water softener made a huge difference in how clean the diapers smelled afterward.
  • Options

imageCavegeko:
    We have really hard water and use tide as well. We added Calgon water softener to our wash routine to control ammonia burn. We cold rinse, hot wash with a 1/16 cup of water softener and 1/16 cup of tide, warm rinse. The water softener made a huge difference in how clean the diapers smelled afterward.

This is good to know! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My son definitely reacted to Tide.  As soon as I stripped my diapers, his redness went away.  I am sticking with my Country Save!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimage 

BFP 1/24/2012 - DS Born 9/22/2012 (11 days early!)
    BFP 2/15/2014 - CP 2/19/2014
    BFP 11/4/2014 - Due 7/14/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"