Military Families

tricare issues - moving mid-pregnancy

I just arrived at our new duty station (a big military area), and was told by Tricare that there were no PCMs available, and I needed to go into the office. (I called in an attempt to save time.)

The lady I spoke with said that I wouldn't be able to make an OB appointment until I get a PCM and get a referral. I'm a few weeks overdue for an appointment, and have heard that it will take a few weeks to get seen at the OB dept here.

Does this sound right to you? I had my 12 week appt at our last station, and I have copies of my lab results, my positive pregnancy test, and my dating ultrasound pics, so it's just frustrating that now I have to go see a PCM - to prove I'm still pregnant or what?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: tricare issues - moving mid-pregnancy

• I just recently went through this same thing! Were you seeing an off base OB at your last base? I was and was told I would need a whole new referral when we got to our next base. That didn't seem right to me because I know you can choose to see a different OB if you didn't like the one you had chosen or for whatever reason so I stopped back by the Tricare office and spoke to someone else who said all I needed to do was choose a new OB in my new location and stop in and change the referral. No need to see my PCM to get a new referral as long as the one I had was still active. I just went to the Tricare office with the name of the new OB I had picked at our new base (did this at the old base) and they changed it and printed me off my new referral. Hope this helps!
  • I also want to add that I've already seen my new OB at our new location with no issues and have not seem my PCM.
  • Loading the player...
  • I moved from Hawaii to California at 18.5 weeks with a high risk pregnancy. I tried to make some arrangements with the California side before moving, but no one would let me. When I got here, I followed their instructions and registered with a PCM immediately, and walked in to register at the hospital's OB clinic. (They only allow it by walk in.) 

Then the run around started. The walk in registration was a joke, and I had to stand there and make an appointment to register, and it was  2 week wait. They promised I could make appointments at the actual registration appt.

The day of the registration appt., the nurse said she couldn't fit me in for 3 weeks for a regular OB appt, and I couldn't get referrals for my anatomy scan, fetal echocardio, or endocrinologist until that appointment.

Until then, I was being seen biweekly. Her schedule would put me 5 weeks behind for my regular appt, would make me totally miss the window for the fetal echo, and would make me at least 4 - 6 weeks late for the A/S.

I went straight to the patient advocates office, explained the situation, and within 2 hours, had all the appointments I needed set up within a week's timeframe. 

I highly recommend the advocates. They can even call TriCare for you. :)

Good luck! Moving is stressful enough as it is without all their hoops to jump through! 

*ETA - Sorry for the novel to get to my point about the advocates. :) 

• Oh, and I never had to see the PCM. I just had to get assigned. No referral needed since it was already in my records that I was currently pregnant.
  • imagekmcd23:
    Oh, and I never had to see the PCM. I just had to get assigned. No referral needed since it was already in my records that I was currently pregnant.

Good to know. I don't know if the lady meant that I had to SEE the PCM, but she said I'd need another referral from my new PCM...which I don't have.

• Your best move would be first to call your local tricare directly and ask them what they need in order to switch regions if you did because nothing will be covered until you are enrolled in the right region. second go talk to a patient advocate. I recommend NOT talking to anyone in a tricare office because they give wrong information FREQUENTLY. The only reliable consistent source is the local tricare calling center. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagekmcd23:
    I moved from Hawaii to California at 18.5 weeks with a high risk pregnancy. I tried to make some arrangements with the California side before moving, but no one would let me. When I got here, I followed their instructions and registered with a PCM immediately, and walked in to register at the hospital's OB clinic. They only allow it by walk in.nbsp;Then the run around started. The walk in registration was a joke, and I had to stand there and make an appointment to register, and it was nbsp;2 week wait. They promised I could make appointments at the actual registration appt.The day of the registration appt., the nurse said she couldn't fit me in for 3 weeks for a regular OB appt, and I couldn't get referrals for my anatomy scan, fetal echocardio, or endocrinologist until that appointment.Until then, I was being seen biweekly. Her schedule would put me 5 weeks behind for my regular appt, would make me totally miss the window for the fetal echo, and would make me at least 4 6 weeks late for the A/S. I went straight to the patient advocates office, explained the situation, and within 2 hours, had all the appointments I needed set up within a week's timeframe.nbsp;I highly recommend the advocates. They can even call TriCare for you. : Good luck! Moving is stressful enough as it is without all their hoops to jump through!nbsp;ETA Sorry for the novel to get to my point about the advocates. :nbsp;

Can I ask where in Cali, if you feel comfortable sharing? I'm on my way to Irwin and will arrive around 12 weeks pregnant. I'm nervous about trying to get all my things switched from Standard to Prime, since there is no other option there.

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageac5008:
    imagekmcd23:
    I moved from Hawaii to California at 18.5 weeks with a high risk pregnancy. I tried to make some arrangements with the California side before moving, but no one would let me. When I got here, I followed their instructions and registered with a PCM immediately, and walked in to register at the hospital's OB clinic. They only allow it by walk in.nbsp;Then the run around started. The walk in registration was a joke, and I had to stand there and make an appointment to register, and it was nbsp;2 week wait. They promised I could make appointments at the actual registration appt.The day of the registration appt., the nurse said she couldn't fit me in for 3 weeks for a regular OB appt, and I couldn't get referrals for my anatomy scan, fetal echocardio, or endocrinologist until that appointment.Until then, I was being seen biweekly. Her schedule would put me 5 weeks behind for my regular appt, would make me totally miss the window for the fetal echo, and would make me at least 4 6 weeks late for the A/S. I went straight to the patient advocates office, explained the situation, and within 2 hours, had all the appointments I needed set up within a week's timeframe.nbsp;I highly recommend the advocates. They can even call TriCare for you. : Good luck! Moving is stressful enough as it is without all their hoops to jump through!nbsp;ETA Sorry for the novel to get to my point about the advocates. :nbsp;
    Can I ask where in Cali, if you feel comfortable sharing? I'm on my way to Irwin and will arrive around 12 weeks pregnant. I'm nervous about trying to get all my things switched from Standard to Prime, since there is no other option there.

San Diego. :) 

• imageMommyLizzy:

I dont know if this helps...

After I took a pregnancy test at home, I was told by a friend to just go to the Womens clinic and ask for a pregnancy test.  I did.  They just gave  me one on the spot. The next day you call to get the result, if its positive it counts as your referral and they schedule for your first appt right there on the phone. I never had to see my PCM.

You do need to make sure you are registered in the right region though.

This was at Fort Stewart, Tricare south

I believe when you go get your pregnancy test, it is technically ordered by your PCM. (At my last MTF, I had to go to the family practice clinic where MY PCM was located (there were many at that MTF), ask for a pregnancy test, go to the lab, and then go BACK to my PCM's family practice to get the results. I just talked to a nurse, not my PCM, but in the computer, it shows a referral from my PCM to the OB department at the hospital.

The Tricare office (the local one) ALSO told me I'd have to go see my PCM (to get a NEW referral since the last one was "used" already) before I could go to the OB department...so I just called the OB department directly and they are seeing me tomorrow. Not sure what they're going to do, but whatever. At least I'll get some straight answers from people who know what they are talking about. The Tricare lady looked at me like I was insane when I explained my situation.

And I'm already enrolled in the correct region - no problems with that. Just getting the run-around about getting assigned to a PCM because it's such a big military area and half of the clinics are at capacity and not taking new patients.

• imageladybugpjb:
    imageMommyLizzy:

After I took a pregnancy test at home, I was told by a friend to just go to the Womens clinic and ask for a pregnancy test.  I did.  They just gave  me one on the spot. The next day you call to get the result, if its positive it counts as your referral and they schedule for your first appt right there on the phone. I never had to see my PCM.

I believe when you go get your pregnancy test, it is technically ordered by your PCM. (At my last MTF, I had to go to the family practice clinic where MY PCM was located (there were many at that MTF), ask for a pregnancy test, go to the lab, and then go BACK to my PCM's family practice to get the results. I just talked to a nurse, not my PCM, but in the computer, it shows a referral from my PCM to the OB department at the hospital.

The Tricare office (the local one) ALSO told me I'd have to go see my PCM (to get a NEW referral since the last one was "used" already) before I could go to the OB department...so I just called the OB department directly and they are seeing me tomorrow. Not sure what they're going to do, but whatever. At least I'll get some straight answers from people who know what they are talking about. The Tricare lady looked at me like I was insane when I explained my situation.

And I'm already enrolled in the correct region - no problems with that. Just getting the run-around about getting assigned to a PCM because it's such a big military area and half of the clinics are at capacity and not taking new patients.

So glad the OB clinic is letting you come in! That sounds promising. :) 

My first appointment here was a repeat of my first appointment at the last OB. Going through the questionnaire, medical history, etc. Maybe that's what you'll have too? 

• imagekmcd23:
    imageladybugpjb:
    imageMommyLizzy:

So glad the OB clinic is letting you come in! That sounds promising. :) 

My first appointment here was a repeat of my first appointment at the last OB. Going through the questionnaire, medical history, etc. Maybe that's what you'll have too? 

Yep - that's what they had me do. They couldn't get me an appointment until February (I'll be 21 weeks), and I still have to call about getting my A/S, but so glad I didn't have to go see my PCM afterall.

kmcd23, I'm so glad you mentioned you didn't have to see a PCM (since our situations are so similar, except for the high-risk) - you gave me the courage to be pushier than normal (but not rude!), and that's what got me in to register right away.

• I moved at 31 weeks and was told repeatedly to just make an OB appt off base and it would all be covered at 100% since it would be pregnancy related. As long as you're pregnant, you're covered. Take your records and find a good OB, hon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we PCS ed from the states to Stuttgart, Germany when I was 18 weeks pregnant. I went into the Tricare office within days of arriving.

They had me do a urine pregnancy test, and then did the referral, which took maybe a week.

I still have not seen my PCM...

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"